Php Mail Sending Random Emails

GentleOz

Hi

Throughout some of my php pages/scripts that I'm hosting on heliohost, I'm using the mail function of PHP. These basically send out confirmation emails to an event.

It seems that these confirmation emails are being sent out randomly, even if the page/script that has the code in it isnt run, and this is 3-4 months after the event they are confirming. Doesnt look great!

I was wondering if there is a cache or a memory that hte Mail function in PHP uses, and do I need to clear this out? Or is there a unix process or something that I can start/stop to get more control over the PHP mail function?

It seems, but I havent fully confirmed this, that it might be linked to the issues we have with Stevie and each time Stevie recovers from a major problem, is it re-running core processes, etc.

Any help, guidance or insight to this would be great.

Thanks

Chris

This sounds almost like the stuck mail queue issue I had on another host. If it failed to send immediately, PHP's mail would pile up in a temp queue that wasn't normally processed by the mail server and sit there for months.

When a maintenance script ran a few times a year, it would attempt to clean out backlogged mail queues. It'd find the mail in the temp queue and send it, causing old mail to randomly start arriving months late.

I'm not sure if HH does something similar, but it wouldn't surprise me if a similar script runs after a crash on Stevie and causes it.