[SOLVED] A Record

xwinuser

Trying not to ask a dumb question. I have set my DNS servers but I am not sure what to set my "A record" or Host IP address to.

I have seen questions about DNS and NS but not @ or A records.

Please advise.

360degreenetworking.com

John Carlisle

After further looking it seems that I can either use 64.62.211.131 or johnny.heliohost.org

The reason you don't see people talking about it very much is because you rarely have to set it yourself. You have your nameservers set correctly, and this is the result of a dig

;; ANSWER SECTION (5 records)
360degreenetworking.com. 14400 IN MX 0 360degreenetworking.com.
360degreenetworking.com. 86400 IN SOA ns1.heliohost.org. ashoat.gmail.com. 2011111602 86400 7200 3600000 86400
360degreenetworking.com. 86400 IN NS ns2.heliohost.org.
360degreenetworking.com. 86400 IN NS ns1.heliohost.org.
360degreenetworking.com. 14400 IN A 64.62.211.131

The A record is set to 64.62.211.131 as it should be. Now you just need to wait 24 hours for the queued page to go away.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help!

FYI The domain is registered through Godaddy. It did have a place for me to manually input the A record. It may have updated on its own but I doubt it.

After further looking it seems that I can either use 64.62.211.131 or johnny.heliohost.org

For future reference, and in more general terms though, not all accounts on johnny use the same ip. It does happen to work for your account though.

This IP shouldn't change, right? I mean unless something big happens. I would have used the FQN so a changing IP would not matter but Godaddy would not let me. I got the IP from the cPanel address, btw.

The IP should not change, and you method of getting the IP was correct. In other words, if you had received a different IP, cPanel would have reflected that.

• Like 1

The site is up now. I am happy. Now I need to start a topic on Joomla if I don't see it in FAQ or Wiki. heh Thanks!

www.360degreenetworking.com