Run Periodic Tasks

dmitryos

Hi guys,

I read wiki and saw a restriction to run 2 cron tasks a day. Just don't want to violate any rules and before doing smth similar want to ask as there was a reason to make this rule.

I have a small mono application that pulls some data from a service, process it and push it back. Very small amount (less than 100k I think). I wanted to run it once per hour. Will it be against the policy? Or there is a way to this? Maybe not run from cron but run an application which will be in memory all the time and once per hour does the task?

Thank you,

Dmitry

there was a reason to make this rule.

Yes, there is a reason. This hosting service is shared with literally thousands of accounts other than yours and we need to have rules to make sure that one person doesn't overload the servers and cause outages and slow service for everyone else.

I wanted to run it once per hour. Will it be against the policy? Or there is a way to this?

Each account can run two cron jobs in each 24 hour period. You can run the same job twice, or you can run two different jobs once each. Once per hour would be 24 jobs in one day which is 22 more than you are allowed.

Maybe not run from cron but run an application which will be in memory all the time and once per hour does the task?

Perhaps the script can be set up to run when the webpage is accessed if it hasn't already run within the last hour. That would not break the rules.

http://wiki.helionet.org/Suspension_policy#Cron_job_limit