[SOLVED] How fast does Stevie's Quota Fill?

Travis B

I did some searching and found an alternate url to access byron's sign-up tool: http://byrondallas.heliohost.org/helio/sign-up.php

Most of our links to this tool (including on the wiki) use uni.cc service which seems to have shut down permanently.

I edited the wiki and updated the link there too: http://wiki.helionet.org/Signing_up#I_get_...een_exceeded.3F

QUOTE (Travis B @ Oct 11 2011, 07:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello! I just deleted my account on Johnny in anticipation of switching to Stevie. I figured I was getting up early enough. Guess not :(

What's a good time to register for Stevie?

When I created my account on stevie I stayed up until signups reset (2am where I live in central timezone) and created my account as soon as I could. I noticed that signups were all used up less than ten minutes later. Sometimes they last 12 hours though it just depends on how many people are trying to create accounts that day.

I did some searching and found an alternate url to access byron's sign-up tool: http://byrondallas.heliohost.org/helio/sign-up.php

Most of our links to this tool (including on the wiki) use uni.cc service which seems to have shut down permanently.

I edited the wiki and updated the link there too: http://wiki.helionet.org/Signing_up#I_get_...een_exceeded.3F

QUOTE (Travis B @ Oct 11 2011, 07:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello! I just deleted my account on Johnny in anticipation of switching to Stevie. I figured I was getting up early enough. Guess not :(

What's a good time to register for Stevie?

When I created my account on stevie I stayed up until signups reset (2am where I live in central timezone) and created my account as soon as I could. I noticed that signups were all used up less than ten minutes later. Sometimes they last 12 hours though it just depends on how many people are trying to create accounts that day.

Awesome! thank you!

I wasn't sure if I had to stay up until that time, or if I could do it when I wake up. I'm in EST, so I didn't want to have to wake up if I didn't have to. :) In this case though, I will!

And that script's really useful too.

Thanks!

Glad your problem got solved! :D

Please spare a few minutes to take our brief survey:

http://feedback.heliohost.org/

Your participation in this survey is greatly appreciated.

I asked a question earlier, and filled out the survey then. Should I do it once for every trouble ticket, or just one-per-person? I don't want to unintentionally dirty your data :)

And also: Is it alright if I create an account with Johnny, and then when I have registered with Stevie, delete my Johnny account (aka use Johnny until I guarantee an account on Stevie)? Stevie was full by 0004 when I attempted this morning, so I have a feeling it's going to take me a while to register with Stevie :(

You could, but there are checks in place to prevent people from having more than one account, so it could cause problems when you go to create your Stevie account. Also it usually takes quite 24-48 hours for an account to get deleted so I'm not sure it would really help that much. Johnny has actually been rather more stable lately than usual. There was a problem with constant apache restarts causing high load, but that has been taken care of. Johnny can do everything that stevie can, plus a bit more. Meanwhile stevie has been less stable than usual because of a partition filling up and emergency maintenance to fix that full partition, and then that ended up causing strange issues with addon, parked domains, etc.

It's up to you though what you want to do. Just giving some more information to base your decision on.

You could, but there are checks in place to prevent people from having more than one account, so it could cause problems when you go to create your Stevie account. Also it usually takes quite 24-48 hours for an account to get deleted so I'm not sure it would really help that much. Johnny has actually been rather more stable lately than usual. There was a problem with constant apache restarts causing high load, but that has been taken care of. Johnny can do everything that stevie can, plus a bit more. Meanwhile stevie has been less stable than usual because of a partition filling up and emergency maintenance to fix that full partition, and then that ended up causing strange issues with addon, parked domains, etc.

It's up to you though what you want to do. Just giving some more information to base your decision on.

Hmm, in that case I think I'll just stay here on Johnny :D Thanks!

I was looking to switch for stability reasons, and for a lower load since I don't really need any of those extra features. And so I wasn't wasting any resources for those who needed to run their heavy applications, where I'm serving just serving mostly static pages.

But in that case, it sounds like staying is a great idea.

Thanks Krydos!

If you would prefer, we are able to give permission for you to be allowed on one account on each server by request.

That would be awesome! What is the procedure for requesting? Is there somewhere I should post/email to request that permission? That would be really cool. Thanks!

I've tried (and failed :( ) signing up right on the reset time for the past couple of nights, and by 12:01:30 (within 1 minute 30 seconds of reset) Stevie's sign-up limit was reached. Thought I should mention it, as it seems to be quite a ridiculously small window of time to sign-up in - just checking that there's not something wrong.

I think the signup limit was temporarily reduced because one of the servers was backlogged. However, it shouldn't have 1 minute of reset.

Are you sure you are checking at the right time?:

http://helio.byrondallas.heliohost.org/sign-up.php

If you are certain you are signing up at Midnight PST, then I will monitor the signups to check if your theory is correct.

Thanks for the quick response and info. I'm definitely trying at the right time - I saw that page displaying '1 minute' and then '23 hours 59 minutes' after refreshing, plus the sign-up page showed 'We're sorry, but the daily signup limit has been exceeded...' a few seconds before I refreshed again to get the sign-up page.

[EDIT:] I seem to have made it in now - the signup form is hanging around for a while longer tonight :)

Edited by -nw-