[Solved] what happend to my addon domains?

claus

Hello. Since one of my add-on domains was behaving sort of strange lately, I went to CP, to check. Oops, while FTP and Mail accounts, as well, as file-structures, are still there, _ALL_ of my add-on domains have vanished. CP give a ZERO count. Funny thing is, at least one of these domains is (still) resolving nicely. (Moved out most of them anyway) If you could take a look into the matter; and if it helps, the domain is http://www.alphabox.uk.tc - thank you.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All Together,

funny enough this has happened to me as well

bkoese.heliohost.org

on Stevie

Add on Domain ueberflieger.cu.cc

After Stevie came back yesterday (think there was a maintenance wasn't there?) my add on domain is gone from CPanel. However when you call the main domain and the add-on domain in the browser everything works just fine. In addition to this I found that my Disk usage in CPanel seems to be wrong, I had about 48MB the day before and now - without adding any features or pictures - the usage suddenly says over 176MB

I checked the total file size of the public_html directory over an FTP program and it does not show 176MB... so I assume there might be something wrong with the display of disk usage and add on domains in cpanel.

Not a big deal as it seems to be only a display problem, everything is working fine but just FYI that there seems to be something going on :D

Best regards!

Barbara

##### Update ####

Ok I have solved the wrong disk space usage problem, in the public_html folder there is a folder called "tmp" that stores all the ZIP files that you upload during installation of a component or module (in my case for Joomla) and this accounts for the additional disk space usage. I have deleted them now and all is good :-)

That leaves only the original problem logged by the previous user that the add on domains are not showing in Cpanel.

Thanks! Barbara

Moved to customer service.

It looks like addon, parked, and sub domains all still are in the system and function perfectly. However, they don't display in cPanel at the bottom where you can modify them. Interestingly though, if you go to sub domains the drop down box lists all addon, parked, and sub domains perfectly. Also, if you just try to recreate the offending domain with the same settings that it already has it just gives an error saying that the domain is already configured.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the stevie /var split that chowned all user files to root. Djbob went back through and chowned them all back the way they were supposed to be but maybe parts of cPanel still have the old ownership data cached?

Hello there,

Two things :

1- Why can't I use "mail.mydomain.helionet.org" ? Gives me "Owned by somebody else" thingy.

2- I added a couple of subdomains then I deleted them**, now I want to re-add one of them but it is saying that it is owned by somebody else!

** I am not sure I deleted them but they aren't in the menu or counted in my stats.

Thank you in advance ^_^

Merged topics.

1- Why can't I use "mail.mydomain.helionet.org" ? Gives me "Owned by somebody else" thingy.

mail.yourdomain... is a cpanel reserved subdomain. Take a look at the manual email settings client setup instructions under Email Accounts in cPanel and you will see

Incoming Mail Server: mail.yourdomain.heliohost.org

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.yourdomain.heliohost.org (server requires authentication) port 25

2- I added a couple of subdomains then I deleted them**, now I want to re-add one of them but it is saying that it is owned by somebody else!

What subdomains specifically?

** I am not sure I deleted them but they aren't in the menu or counted in my stats.

The reason I merged your thread to this escalated request is I suspect you didn't actually delete them (hence why it says someone else owns it) but rather you're having the same issue as everyone else and it just isn't displaying properly in cPanel.

Well, it seems, I am not the only one in this particular dingy. Nice to meet you. To meet you, nice. However, to come back to the topic, reading through the posts, I couldn't really find any solutions, not so nice. For example, what exactly id the deeper sense, in having a pull-down stuffed-up with dummy entries?

True, at least some of the domains are still resolving, for the time being, until the next flush of the DNS cache. Once that has happened, the only thing, any of those domains are resolving to, is Nirvana. Since these forums appear to be stock-piled with Admins, I wonder, if any of these actually has the required experience, to give a concrete reply; rather then the bubbles-up earlier on in the topic.

Whichever topic has a slightly more delicate weighting, seems to be calling for some djbob. In other words, what are the other /Admins/ doing here, anyway, apart from joining in to give it a good shout for the Admin's Overlord? Sorry, nothing personal, no offenses intended, but where I come from, one has to pass some fancy exams before being allowed to postulate as Admin.

I shall hope, whoever is in charge of this merry-go-round, has fundamental expertise enough, to apply the necessary actions asap. Frankly, I am in no particular mood for any more /funny games/. Those domains actually /do/ have a reason. Well knowingly, that this is a (one-of-many) freebie, I would still expect things to work. Looking forward, to read better stuff next visit 'round, -tia-

Hello claus,

I'm terribly sorry for all the confusion that you've experienced, mostly being caused by your lack of understanding about how HelioHost works. I know from reading your blog that you are a fairly experienced C++ programmer, and that you are extremely well experienced with computers. I know that these things probably come fairly easily to you, and that you cannot fathom why we would not be able to solve these problems.

The reason is that we (the admin staff) are not computer experts, myself included. We haven't taken a rigid computer class that explains every bit of all of the inner workings of computers and how it all comes together. This is instead left up to djbob. However, we do know enough knowledge to fix most, if not all of the problems that come our way, and we do a fairly good job at that.

You have to understand that we are volunteers, and everything that we know about how to run a server comes from HelioHost. This is in fact the only way that a service like HelioHost could ever work; the money earned from ads is only enough to pay for bandwidth and colocation, it is not enough to pay the high priced salaries of those who have taken a computer science class.

Note: sorry if offended anyone, just trying to explain how this works to claus

Note: this does not include Wizard or djbob.

I hope you understand now why your reply hasn't been answered the next business day.

Thanks,

xaav

===============================================================================

Getting back to the issue at hand, has anyone run fix_corrupt_domain.py?

Getting back to the issue at hand, has anyone run fix_corrupt_domain.py?

I considered that, but doesn't that only fix one domain at a time?

The addons, sub, and parked domains are functioning perfectly except they don't display in cPanel. I was assuming whatever file that portion of cPanel was trying to access was still chown'd to root instead of being accessible to each user account.

Well then, at least it seems, I've been ringing the right pair of buzzers; and my over-all picture, of what's cooking under the stove was fairly correct. So if everybody is done with euphoria: can we then come back to the topic, which still is: What gives with my add-on domains? Oh, sorry, scratch that. It ought to read: What gives with everybody's add-on domains, sub-domains, etc... Apparently there is at least 1 or 2 having the same issue.

As mentioned earlier, I am moving domains out, so I wouldn't know, which of those originally configured here would be affected. There is currently only one, still active on this thing; for the mo, that is. Quite frankly, any such info ought to be plain visible in your admin panel. Just head over to my account, and fetch the required data.

Volunteers: I didn't mean to down-grade whatever your job implies. Sorry, if the wording has caused some confusion about that. Rest assured, that I am in complete favour of voluntary aids. Used to, and still do, some of that myself - left alone on a different level. I perfectly well understand, you guys are not in the easiest of positions, hence, accept my apologies. Business on The Internet is not half as funny, as it used to be.

Now then, due to my lack of understanding. I presume (what do you expect from a bloke, with over 30 years in computing); I shall leave you alone for a while. Fetch a cuppa and relax. It's not the end of the world. Wishing you the best of luck in finding a pleasant and suitable solution for the sake of those, sharing the same topic. Regards.