Your Favorite Operating System

Favorite Operating system  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I must be either some sort of fossil, or the sole surviving user of Solaris. Er, make that Sun Solaris; because the new release by Oracle is pretty much yet another Linux Gnome. I just love the JDE. However, you'll need a full install. The LIVE from Oracle is so bloody crippled, it's no use at all. Apart from that, I'd go with FreeBSD, or NetBSD to do some serious working. Win7 mainly for compat reasons only. Appears to be closing in on on the *nix path, like Mac did before; by switching to the FreeBSD Kernel. The SUA gives you a nice little UNIX env to play with. Well, I'm not surprised. UNIX is simply the best, you can get; if you are into working, rather than wasting time with fancy /shooters/...

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have loved the "idea" of Linux since the late 90's. It just never became mainstream like Windows. That's when Windows really sucked. Now its actually stable instead of having to reboot twice an hour.

Yeah Linux is great as an embedded OS in net appliances, GPS, phones, etc. but not on an open hard-drive where anybody can play with the Open Source code.

Linux was supposed to be the new OS for "gamers". That was me. Unreal Tournament, Quake (the first, 2nd and 3rd), Return to Castle Wolfenstein (I actually got that one to work on Mandrake). But getting GOOD games to work on Linux took hours if not days of compiling and recompiling. Partitioning, formatting, downloading. Ahhhh. Just throw the disc in a Windows box and start fragging!

Xwinuser

johnc@360DegreeNetworking.com hosted by HelioHost. Thanks HelioHost!