<head>

<title>hello, world</title>

</head>

<body>

<h1>hello world</h1>

</body>

</html>

EOF

(I copied this from a post in this forum)

I get a 500 error every time point my browser at the above file. I've looked at the errorlog and I see:

[sun Jul 03 02:41:22 2011] [error] [client 78.149.9.14] (12)Cannot allocate memory: couldn't spawn child process: /home/abonae/public_html/cgi-bin/helloworld.cgi

What do I need to do?

Thanks

Abo

Guest Geoff

The error I'm getting is:

Can't find string terminator "EOF" anywhere before EOF at ./helloworld.cgi line 5.

Yeah, I think it's an issue with the user's code. I created a simpler hello world in the same directory and it works: http://abonae.heliohost.org/cgi-bin/test.cgi.

I don't know Perl, so I'm not sure what's wrong. The user's code:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use CGI qw(:standard);
print header;

print <<EOF;
<html>
<head>
<title>hello, world</title>
</head>
<body>
<h1>hello world</h1>
</body>
</html>
EOF

Thanks for fixing this. I think the code was ok - helloworld.cgi works just fine now and I did not change it.

Can I just check something? - heliohost does not allow telnet access - is that correct? I'd like to be able to test my scripts on the server as well as via the web.

Thanks

Abo

Guest Geoff
Can I just check something? - heliohost does not allow telnet access - is that correct?

We have plans to allow ssh access to johnny in the future, but from the way things are looking now, that's not going to happen for quite a while. We need to do some security audits first, to prevent something like this from happening again.

Telnet is just a TCP/IP connection over plaintext. We "offer" Telnet for SMTP, as an example... since that protocol is TCP/IP over plaintext. But we block remote access to non-standard ports through our firewall, so you won't be able to Telnet to a service you're running on some port.