[Solved] Internal Server Error

Snooze

domain: theadrianconnection.heliohost.org

username: jongleur

server: stevie

Hi,

Encountering the following report in numerous situations:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@theadrianconnection.heliohost.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The situations where I encounter this report are:

Trying to access cPanel (http://theadrianconnection.heliohost.org/cpanel)

Trying to access Joomla installation (http://theadrianconnection.heliohost.org/joomla16)

Trying to access SugarCRM installation (http://theadrianconnection.heliohost.org/sugar)

The above links have never worked; I had been waiting hoping that the problem might solve itself :unsure:

Hope you'll be able to guide me!

Btw: Many thanks for Heliohost; it's a fantastic place to learn about web hosting!

Try renaming your .htaccess file in your root folder and see if that clears it up.

Hi Byron,

Thanks for your reply. :)

I'm afraid it didn't seem to work for me (however, terms like .htaccess and root folder are new to me, so maybe I haven't done what you suggested?).

The root folder I took to mean the main folder for my site but possibly also the main folder for any installation/application within my site?

I renamed the .htaccess file (as .htaccess1) in my /public_html/ folder; the .htaccess file was regenerated but there was no effect.

So I tried changing every .htaccess file I could find. The file names I changed were:

/public_html/sugar/.htaccess

/public_html/_vti_txt/.htaccess

/public_html/_vti_pvt/.htaccess

/public_html/_vti_log/.htaccess

/public_html/_vti_cnf/.htaccess

/public_html/_vti_bin/.htaccess

/public_html/_vti_bin/_vti_aut/.htaccess

/public_html/_vti_bin/_vti_adm/.htaccess

/public_html/_private/.htaccess

However, none of this had any effect.

Any further advice very welcome.

I meant just the one in your public_html folder. Try this, if your not using FrontPage Extensions, go to your cpanel and look for the link called FrontPage Extensions and uninstall them. That will remove all of this folders:

/public_html/_vti_txt/.htaccess

/public_html/_vti_pvt/.htaccess

/public_html/_vti_log/.htaccess

/public_html/_vti_cnf/.htaccess

/public_html/_vti_bin/.htaccess

/public_html/_vti_bin/_vti_aut/.htaccess

/public_html/_vti_bin/_vti_adm/.htaccess

/public_html/_private/.htaccess

Then give it a try.

Also check your Error log at your cpanel for errors for me.

Hi Byron,

I uninstalled the Front Page extensions. The folders you listed were all removed but my problem is still there.

These are numbers of errors, all of which are the same. Here's a sample showing the most recent errors reported on my Error log:

[sun Apr 17 06:06:04 2011] [error] [client 2.100.103.127] File does not exist: /home1/jongleur/public_html/500.shtml

[sun Apr 17 06:04:49 2011] [error] [client 2.100.103.127] File does not exist: /home1/jongleur/public_html/500.shtml

[sun Apr 17 06:04:45 2011] [error] [client 2.100.103.127] File does not exist: /home1/jongleur/public_html/500.shtml

[sun Apr 17 06:04:40 2011] [error] [client 2.100.103.127] File does not exist: /home1/jongleur/public_html/500.shtml

You had a bunch of cpdavd processes running. I killed them.

byron, other admins: This cpdavd issue seems to be pretty common. If a user reports it in the future, try running the following command:

if [ `ps aux | grep cpdavd | grep -c USERGOESHERE` -ge 7 ]; then killall -u USERGOESHERE; fi

Better to make its own cronjob, but yeah it isn't hard to make. I wrote it up in awk and bash and added it to the root crontab to run every ten minutes, so hopefully this won't be an issue going forward.