Stat counters in cpanel and uptime

jagzjagz

Hi guys,

Before I start with my questions, I just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work on this heliohost site. I've hosted my first noobie site on this, and I've learned so much just about getting things going and all. You guys rock.

Quick Questions:

Stat counters in cpanel - looks like they are locked out. I'm not being picky, but is there a reason why these are disabled? Would love to know some stats about site visits if that is available.

Uptime for Johnny - Is the priority uptime for Johnny the same as the other server?

Guest Geoff
Stat counters in cpanel - looks like they are locked out. I'm not being picky, but is there a reason why these are disabled? Would love to know some stats about site visits if that is available.

These are disabled because they can cause high server load. You can easily duplicate this functionality with something like piwik.

Uptime for Johnny - Is the priority uptime for Johnny the same as the other server?

We try our best to ensure uptime on all servers. Unfortunately, this is the real world; not a perfect world.

Stevie is probably going to be much more stable in the future; A LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) environment is one of the most stable server setups.

Johnny, however, has extras like Mono, Ruby on Rails, and JSP. These technologies are especially known for being buggy and difficult to configure; when compared to just PHP/MySQL. Therefore, Johnny will probably crash more often.

Stevie is probably going to be much more stable in the future; A LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) environment is one of the most stable server setups.

Johnny, however, has extras like Mono, Ruby on Rails, and JSP. These technologies are especially known for being buggy and difficult to configure; when compared to just PHP/MySQL. Therefore, Johnny will probably crash more often.

Thanks for the heads up! I never needed any of the extra stuff on Johnny. I guess there is no easy way to move my stuff over to Stevie without making a new account there manually?

These are disabled because they can cause high server load. You can easily duplicate this functionality with something like piwik.

Hey Geoff,

Was just checking into the stat counters stuff for the website. Piwik looks like something I would have to install on the web server? So does this mean I'd have to install it on Johnny?

Just trying to find the most trouble-free solution to throw in a decent stat counter to the site.

Cheers.

Guest Geoff
Was just checking into the stat counters stuff for the website. Piwik looks like something I would have to install on the web server? So does this mean I'd have to install it on Johnny?

Yes; you would have to install it. I'm sure it won't take more than 10 minutes.

In fact, you might be able to use softalicious in your cpanel to install it for you.

Yes; you would have to install it. I'm sure it won't take more than 10 minutes.

In fact, you might be able to use softalicious in your cpanel to install it for you.

Awesome. Worked great. Thank you. Is there a reason why piwik is considered okay, versus the stat counters that are in cpanel that are locked out? Don't they all usually eat up the same bandwidth?

Cheers.

Guest Geoff
Awesome. Worked great. Thank you. Is there a reason why piwik is considered okay, versus the stat counters that are in cpanel that are locked out? Don't they all usually eat up the same bandwidth?

The Stat Counters monitor every request for every user. Piwik is per user, only for those who need it.

Some users might not need stats, so using piwik produces collectively less server load.