PHP gives Internal Server Error

mrscottm

I am trying to use this host and I am relatively new to web development. Now I have discovered php but it's proving to be extremely difficult to make work on this server because about 95% of the time, it gives Internal Server Error for any .php file (even empty ones). I don't know what's going on but can you guys fix it? I'd like to use this host since I've already invested time in it but I really need the server to actually work too..

Thanks,

Scott

Try this in a file and post the url:

<?php
echo "Hello World!";
?>

You might want to check your Error log at your cpanel also for error messages.

Thanks for your replies Byron.

The problem seems to happen after I use the upload or download functions in bluefish (I am using ubuntu 10.10) but the error log is completely empty.

UPDATE:

It seems it doesn't like bluefish uploading/downloading the entire directory contents. While it is in this defunct state, all php files are broken as well. Further, it 'times out' in this state for exactly 15 minutes before working again, according to my tests.

This is a problem because WebDisk is broken and I need a way to conveniently sync the files locally on my machine. So far bluefish has proven to be the most qualified to do this but it breaks php for 15 minutes at a time.

If you would like me to reproduce this problem, perhaps conversing with a more real-time medium such as IRC would be of benefit. I can set up a room on freenode or come to wherever you guys are.

FTP is a useful alternative to Web Disk. It is basically the same as WebDisk except it is less secure.

I believe FTP can be setup the same way as WebDisk (from experience in Windows) - I just enter ftp://ftp.yourdomain.heliohost.org and use your cPanel username and password.

However, I recommend you use an FTP client such as FileZilla. When using FileZilla, use ftp.yourdomain.heliohost.org (without the ftp://).

Hopefully by using FTP you won't experience any more problems. ;)

@byron - WebDisk was disabled by djbob because it was unpopular and was putting pressure on the server.

I think your thinking of Webalizer (web stats). Even though WebDisk might be unpopular, I don't think it puts any kind of a load on the server. If I'm not mistaken djbob fixed it the last time I escalated this. Anyway will find out soon enough. :)

It seems it doesn't like bluefish uploading/downloading the entire directory contents. While it is in this defunct state, all php files are broken as well. Further, it 'times out' in this state for exactly 15 minutes before working again, according to my tests.

If you would like me to reproduce this problem, perhaps conversing with a more real-time medium such as IRC would be of benefit. I can set up a room on freenode or come to wherever you guys are.

Can we focus on this reproducable issue please? Bluefish is pointed at an ftp directory for it's upload/download functions that is mounted/maintained by ubuntu/nautilus file manager.

Also I tried webdisk again using nautilus instructions and opened ports 2077-2078 but I still get

Could not display "https://drtux.net:2078". Access was denied.

dialog popup when trying to access webdisk using the nautilus instructions from cpanel>webdisk

As I have no experience with Ubuntu or anything related to Ubuntu, I may not be able to help you with this one.

By the error you have given related to Web Disk, I believe that you did not input a correct username and password, or didn't input a username and password at all.

As I have no experience with Ubuntu or anything related to Ubuntu, I may not be able to help you with this one.

By the error you have given related to Web Disk, I believe that you did not input a correct username and password, or didn't input a username and password at all.

Thanks for your response. You are right, this has nothing to do with ubuntu. The fact that ftp works fine means that this is a server side issue and the fact that it times out for exactly 15 minutes is even more proof of this. It is a reproduceable problem so I wanted someone to poke around while the problem is happening or look at internal logs not available to me. This is not a Ubuntu/OS issue, it's server-side and can only be fixed in the server. Thanks for looking into this problem as it's very annoying to say the least.

Also, if WebDisk is no longer supported, shouldn't be removed from cPanel?

I'm not sure if you understood my post.

I have tried Web Disk with my own website and it is working perfectly - I can't find any server-side problems. ;)

Web Disk is supported by HelioHost and is available to the users of HelioHost. :)

I'm not sure if you understood my post.

I have tried Web Disk with my own website and it is working perfectly - I can't find any server-side problems. ;)

Web Disk is supported by HelioHost and is available to the users of HelioHost. :)

Yes I understood you but it does not work with the instructions for linux as detailed for nautilus in cPanel>WebDisk>Connect.