[Solved] Latex Revisited

fsheet

Recently there was a request for the path to the LaTeX binaries and a question from djbob about how to install LaTeX on RHEL (topic is closed): http://www.helionet.org/index/index.php?sh...67&hl=latex

You can make use of the online installer to install Tex Live: http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html

Download: install-tl-unx.tar.gz off the website above.

I successfully installed LaTeX this way on CentOS 5 which is based off RHEL, so it should work. I don't recall the path, but I can find it if you end up installing LaTeX on the server. Just as peibol is, I am interested in LaTex being installed on the server.

Thanks!

I can't find texlive or texlive in the package manager. Do you know what the yum package manager for RHEL refers to those packages as?

Sorry, I don't know that, but by downloading and running the installer you can install it.

I can't find texlive or texlive in the package manager. Do you know what the yum package manager for RHEL refers to those packages as?

Thanks for doing that djbob.

The directory that it's installed in should be something like: /usr/local/texlive/2009/bin/i386-linux/

Do you have anything somewhere like that? I will PM peibol and see if he can test whether it's working, I'm not quite ready to implement LaTeX yet.

Okay, I went ahead and installed the package. Does it look like it's working?

Great, thanks. I'll PM peibol and see if he can test it. Otherwise, I can test it within the next few weeks. Do we have the privilege of executing shell commands in php?

The path to that would be /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/x86_64-linux.

Hi there! Good to know that there're people doing some "research" on moodle :)

I'm trying to test the path in my site, but I'm getting an almost permanent "Internal Server Error". Is it due to the possible high load of Moodle? Currently there are no users but me. Anyway, I'll keep trying and report back to you.

Cheers

The path to that would be /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/x86_64-linux.

There was really high load on the server this morning, but it should be dying down around now. The TeXLive installation is located at /usr/local/texlive/2010. I'm not sure where to find the executables, but your path seemed to make sense.

Do we have the privilege of executing shell commands in php?

No. You will have to use cron or perl. Please keep in mind that your shell commands are logged, so don't try anything like 'su root', or your account will be suspended. Sorry I have to state the obvious, but some users have tried those commands and gotten suspended. Common sense, really.

Excuse me for the delay in reporting back.

The output of Moodle debugging:

Checking executables

Error: latex executable (/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/x86_64-linux) is not readable
dvips executable (/usr/bin/dvips) is readable
convert executable (/usr/bin/convert) is readable

What is weird, as in the Moodle TEX settings page seems to recognize the path to the Texlive binary. Perhaps it is a lack of permissions?

Hmm... "/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/x86_64-linux" is a folder in our installation, and it's chmod'd to 755 (so everyone should be able to view its contents).

Do you know which particular file it's unable to read?