Problem

nilayz

I have an old PIII machine that has been working well. But today when I powered it up, it refused to do POST and there was nothing on the screen. There isn't any problem with the power supply, coz every other device is working (CD drive, hard disk, lan card LED, cpu fan, etc). Any idea what might have gone wrong?

• 1 year later...
Maybe check to see if everythings plugged in at the back?

Unplugged cables would not create a post-level failure.

Opening it up and cleaning all the dust out with a vacuum cleaner usually works. Btw, dust is a conductor of electricty, mabye hard to believe, but it is. Been proven.

DO NOT VACUUM THE INSIDE OF YOUR COMPUTER. This creates electrostatic discharge that will usually fry things. Instead use compressed air specifically for cleaning electronics.

Also, dust is an electrical insulator, not a conductor. Usually the only problem it creates is that it insulates heat as well, which can make components overheat; it can also clog up fans.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I have an old PIII machine that has been working well. But today when I powered it up, it refused to do POST and there was nothing on the screen. There isn't any problem with the power supply, coz every other device is working (CD drive, hard disk, lan card LED, cpu fan, etc). Any idea what might have gone wrong?

Hi nilayz,

can you post more details about error messages, such as if there's Bios screen which show some memory and harddisks infor? if yes, then it might be your MBR problem. if not, then it's possible some error on your BIOS.