Scheduled Downtime

Ashoat

I'm scheduling some downtime Friday, March 19th to get ASP.NET back online. I'm not really sure how long it'll last, but hopefully the process won't be too drawn out. After this, we should be able to retake first place on free-webhosts.com.

Note to self: remember to add back /var/cpanel/mgmt_queue/apache_update_no_restart.

PS: Happy 5th birthday, HelioHost!

Hope it will minimize the downtime.

Happy birthday to Heliohost........

best wishes

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, Apache has been upgraded, as has PHP. Mono and mod_mono have been installed without error, but are giving out runtime errors now. I'm having the cPanel folks take a look.

Can someone please tell me what's the current status of ASP.NET support because for me it still doesn't work. After placing simple test page in /public_html directory and requesting Default.aspx my browser receive blank answer with no html content. I see there is mod_mono module enabled, but is now ASP.NET support actually there?

Guys, I don't think I can get Ming to work.

php.net says that Ming is now a PECL extension as of PHP 5.3, but there are no downloads available on the PECL extension page. I can't find any downloads for a Ming support in PHP 5.3.

If you guys can find something, let me know.

This was all I could find out about it at the Sourceforge Ming forum. NikeJoshua I'm going to leave it up to you to follow through with this if you want Ming back. You could try posting in that old thread and see if they ever came up with something.

In regards to Mono/ASP.NET:

1) I've readded VB support.

2) I've added libgdiplus support. Took me a while, but this is a new feature since last time!

3) I've readded MySQL Connector/NET support. I added a DbProviderFactory hook for it, but there's this annoying bug if you try to use a GridView, but it's common to Mono.

4) I've added Npgsql, another new addition. This adds native (non-ODBC) support for PostgreSQL. I added a DbProviderFactory hook, but the error for #3 still occurs.

In regards to Mono/ASP.NET:

3) I've readded MySQL Connector/NET support. I added a DbProviderFactory hook for it, but there's this annoying bug if you try to use a GridView, but it's common to Mono.

Ok it's wonderful to hear, but now I have two questions.

1. Can I use external MySQL Database (I mean database hosted on different server, not HelioHost)?

2. Can I use my own MySQL Connector (provided with my app in bin folder as standard .Net assembly DLL) instead of yours "system-wide" version (in GAC)? If not, could you please tell what version is installed on server?

I'm asking because my app throws me this exception:

MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException: Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Connection refused at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect (System.Net.EndPoint remoteEP) [0x00000] in :0 at System.Net.Sockets.Socket+Worker.Connect () [0x00000] in :0 --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.NativeDriver.Open () [0x00000] in :0 at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.Driver.Create (MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlConnectionStringBuilder settings) [0x00000] in :0 at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlConnection.Open () [0x00000] in :0

and there is not much ASP.NET related support information here on HelioHost

Concerning Ming support:

There indeed doesn't seem to be a precompiled build of Ming for PECL yet.

There is a package page, but it has no downloads available:

http://pecl.php.net/package/ming

I don't know how familiar you are with compiling yourself, but just in case i added the source files i tracked down:

Default Ming source

Source to build Ming as PECL package

I also found 1 page stating they had made a successfull build of it, but unfortunately also no download.

I'll add the page just in case:

http://www.neologue.co.uk/mwuki?title=php+stuff

Anyways, that's what i was able to track so far in the little time i had. I'll keep looking for a precompiled build and will let you know if i find one ;)

Hey NikeJoshua,

I have no problem with source packages - I use them all the time. However, the SVN repo you linked to contains no makefile, which is necessary for compiling source packages. I would have to figure out the source code myself otherwise.

On the other hand, the SourceForge page has a makefile, but the makefile seems useless. It made the package, but then it has no rule for installing the package, and no instructions on how I should go about with the installation. Furthermore, my understanding is that Ming has two sides to it - the library, and the PHP extension. I think this package only handles the former.

Indeed, the first source compiles libming, which is the ming backend.

This library should be placed in /usr/lib/. Also copy the header ming.h into /usr/include/

The second source should be the interface, but i didn't check through the entire sourcefiles, so a makefile may indeed be missing.

I'll keep looking for a solution ;)