[Solved] Database script import + domain name change

Hi,

I'm sorry to bother you again but I need some help from you in order to solve two problems:

1) I need to import a database script but phpMyAdmin tells me "#1153 - Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes". This has happened to me before and I know I it can be solved by setting the max_allowed_packet variable in the MySQL configuration file, then restart and import but I don't have access to such configuration from my cpanel. Then, I would be grateful if you could import it on my behalf. The import script I need you to import is in "\public_html\ya000236_foros.sql.gz" and should go into the database cb_foros (which is already created).

2) If you can import the previous database script successfully, then would also I need you to change my domain name. Actually, you have done this before in my account but now I need it to be changed back. This is because I had to do some tests with a temporary domain until I was sure everything was ok. Now that I have made all my tests, I need you to change my current domain "www.carnaval-boquense.com.ar" to the new "www.carnavalboquense.com.ar" (without a hyphen).

My account name is "cb".

Thank you in advance,

Mariano

Hi,

I appreciate your suggestion but that is actually not possible for two reasons basically:

1) The uncompressed SQL file is about 234 MB, which would be hard to process manually copying and pasting each statement. Anyway, this is not the real problem as phpMyAdmin does the same thing: open the file, take one statement at a time and import it, so doing it either manually or through phpMyAdmin is exactly the same in this regard.

2) The real problem with my file lies is the size of each statement. My script contains the dump of a forum database, where huge posts and BLOBs are very common. For this reason, many INSERT INTO statements are VERY long and cannot be imported simply because of a limitation in the server's configuration. This means that even though I tried copying and pasting such statements into phpMyAdmin, the statement would still be rejected because the current configuration does not allow statements which exceed an arbitrary size. However, that maximum size is controlled by the 'max_allowed_packet' configuration variable that can be set either in the MySQL configuration file (and restarting the server) or be directly set by a parameter in the command line if you work in a console.

As I told you, this has happened to me before when I moved my sites from one hosting server to another and the server's administrators were always able to solve the issue (that is, the imported the database from the command line).

Please, have a look at the following sites for more detailed information and the ways to solve this problem:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/packet-too-large.html

http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?35,75794,75794#msg-75794

Anyway, regardless of importing my database script, I remind you to change my domain name to "www.carnavalboquense.com.ar" as I would need to work with it even though the database is not ready.

Thank you very much,

Mariano

The difference between this case and those cases is that this is a free host. As in, it isn't my job to import your databases for you.

Are you saying that you have single INSERT statements larger than 1 MiB? If so (and note that 1 MiB of text is a HUGE amount), then a new topic created in your forum should give you that error. If not, then you should be able to send that same INSERT statement from PHPMyAdmin. Also, my guess is that PHPMyAdmin does not individually parse each statement in a query dump as a separate query to the database. It could easily send more than one statement in a single query.

As for the domain change: okay, it has been changed. In the future, pay attention when you are told (in red text) that "you only have one chance to create your account".