PHP Mail Function

RainGirl82

Hello,

I installed Joomla and trying to set up a contact form..The component on my site says that mail has been sent but the detination never receives the mail. I looked for help on Joomla forums and the response I got is check whether your host support "PHP MAIL FUNCTION". Want to know is this function supported by heliohost? And if not then can you please fill in the following information that Joomla asks for sending mail?

1) Sendmail Path: /usr/sbin/sendmail (Is this correct?)

2) SMTP Port:

3) SMTP Username: (Is this heliohost's username-password?)

4) SMTP Password:

5) SMTP Host:

6) Does SMTP require authentication?

7) SMTP security: SSL/TLS?

8) SMTP Server:

I have been working on this since so many weeks, kindly help me please.

I looked for help on Joomla forums and the response I got is check whether your host support "PHP MAIL FUNCTION". Want to know is this function supported by heliohost?

1) Sendmail Path: /usr/sbin/sendmail (Is this correct?)

Yes Heliohost supports the php mail function and yes that is the correct path. The rest you'll have to wait for djbob or somedody else who is more knowledgeable about SMTP to answer your other questions.

Are you sending it from your helio address, some mail providers block heliohost.

No, am not using heliohost's address. I am using personal "yahoo" mail for this.

It doesn't matter what the From: address is. What matters is the email headers and they will always show heliohost.

You don't need any SMTP details at all. The path to sendmail should handle it for you.

SMTP is used for sending email from an external server; locally, sendmail is used. The PHP mail() function does not require any SMTP login information.

You don't need any SMTP details at all. The path to sendmail should handle it for you.

SMTP is used for sending email from an external server; locally, sendmail is used. The PHP mail() function does not require any SMTP login information.

So what could be the reason of not getting any emails? When I send messages by filling up the contact form (created through joomla) or when I sign up as user, no mail messages are received at both ends (neither admin nor user)..attached image has joomla mail settings..I am not able to figure what the problem is (tried different settings as well), can you please help me!

post-4409-1253208935.jpg

P.S. SMTP Port: 25 (comes by default & does not go away)

Ok, just now got a clue but don't know how to proceed further & now somebody must be able to help me.

The DEFAULT EMAIL ACCOUNT is catching all the emails. When we go to Heliohost's control panel and click on Email Accounts, inside there we have our default email account that catches all unrouted mails. When I checked that account, I found all the mails dumped in there. I think mails are not getting proper route to reach the destination. So now please tell me how to solve this problem?

Please I have been working on this for so many days....help!!!

Wow, one more step closer. After detailed reading & understanding, I found this error message in emails:

host e.mx.mail.yahoo.com [216.39.53.1]: 554 Message not allowed - UP Email not accepted for policy reasons. Please visit http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/defer/defer-04.html. The given link tells:

"There is something about the message contents that Yahoo! Mail will not accept for policy reasons. For instance, it is against Yahoo! Mail's policy to send phishing/fraud attempts or viruses."

Why yahoo is treating these mails/ server as fraud? There is nothing in emails..they are just test mails. Is yahoo treating the header information as Spam? Why so?

Anybody...any idea?

Yes..one more thing...I tried with different ids like google and rediffmail but everything works beautifully with them...the problem is just with yahoo.

I know for sure that yahoo isn't blocking regular emails. I get mine without any problems from heliohost. You can try this simple test from your site and see what happens. Just make a php page out of the code below and add the correct email addresses and click onto the page.

<?php
$to = "your_address@yahoo.com";
$subject = "Test Mail";
$message = "Hello world!";
$headers = "From: raingirl@raingirl82.heliohost.org";
mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);
echo "The email was sent";
?>

I know for sure that yahoo isn't blocking regular emails. I get mine without any problems from heliohost. You can try this simple test from your site and see what happens. Just make a php page out of the code below and add the correct email addresses and click onto the page.

<?php
$to = "your_address@yahoo.com";
$subject = "Test Mail";
$message = "Hello world!";
$headers = "From: raingirl@raingirl82.heliohost.org";
mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);
echo "The email was sent";
?>

Yes, you are right! Yahoo isn't blocking regular mails. Just 2 days earlier, I tested a flash form and it worked. Just now tried your code and that also worked. The problem comes only through Joomla form. I am not able to understand what header information it is passing for which the mails are blocked by yahoo!!!!