SSI problems - Can't seem to make it work

Luna

This problem has been occurring since I first uploaded.

My subdomain runs on Server-Side Includes.

It was supposed to parse the includes automatically, yes?

I'm currently still experiencing problems.

I've tried editing the .htacess files to solve the problem like Apache's website said.

I've looked through the main datastore for the Cpanel, and everything looks fine there.

So I editted the files I wanted as includes from .inc to .shtml too.

And that didn't work.

So...I don't know.

I'm lost and it's really annoying.

I wanted to do my main Homepage using a small amount of includes too, but if it won't work....

So, is there something I have to set up or....am I doing something wrong?

This problem has been occurring since I first uploaded.

My subdomain runs on Server-Side Includes.

It was supposed to parse the includes automatically, yes?

I'm currently still experiencing problems.

I've tried editing the .htacess files to solve the problem like Apache's website said.

I've looked through the main datastore for the Cpanel, and everything looks fine there.

So I editted the files I wanted as includes from .inc to .shtml too.

And that didn't work.

So...I don't know.

I'm lost and it's really annoying.

I wanted to do my main Homepage using a small amount of includes too, but if it won't work....

So, is there something I have to set up or....am I doing something wrong?

SSI seems to be working fine for me.

http://byrondallas.heliohost.org/test/SSI_test.shtml

http://byrondallas.heliohost.org/test/SSI_test.txt

As far as editing the .htaccess for SSI, that shouldn't be neccasary and It would probaby be a good idea to remove what you added.

All of your files that you intend to use SSI on need to have the .shtml extension. The includes themselves don't require the .shtml extension.

Can you post an example of your includes that aren't working? Maybe is just something your over looking?

EDIT:

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean? Do you have an addon domain off of your heliohost domain that has it's own domain name? And your trying to include pages from your main account to your sub domain pages?

Hmm... I'm getting an error on both. It looks like SSI won't parse CGI files. I did a quick test on your account, byron - I created a CGI file called test.blah, added an AddHandler for .blah, and then tried to include it. I got the same error you're getting. It worked fine without the AddHandler, though. I tried a "<!--#exec cgi="../myscgi/cgi101/date.cgi" -->" command as well, but that didn't help.

I'm not sure why this is happening, though.

UPDATE

Issuing an "exec" command on something in the current folder is the only way I am able to avoid an error, although nothing seems to happen when I do that anyways.

Hmm... I'm getting an error on both. It looks like SSI won't parse CGI files. I did a quick test on your account, byron - I created a CGI file called test.blah, added an AddHandler for .blah, and then tried to include it. I got the same error you're getting. It worked fine without the AddHandler, though. I tried a "<!--#exec cgi="../myscgi/cgi101/date.cgi" -->" command as well, but that didn't help.

I'm not sure why this is happening, though.

UPDATE

Issuing an "exec" command on something in the current folder is the only way I am able to avoid an error, although nothing seems to happen when I do that anyways.

I wonder why I'm not seeing any errors on this page?

http://byrondallas.heliohost.org/alpha1omega/SSI_test.shtml

The time displays just fine for me. I also have that same include on my home page at the bottom

http://byrondallas.heliohost.org/index.shtml

Are you seeing errors at the bottom where the time should be?

I know why you got an error and I didn't on the page that should have worked. The directory that time.cgi include file is in was password protected, but it allowed my ip without me signing in, so I never knew everybody else was seeing an error on my home page. You should see the time now. SORRY about all the confusion. :(

Ah. That would explain that.

In regards to the directories: I would look around the web for stuff in regards to that, but I know that mod_include (SSI) isn't very configurable. I haven't had much experience with it, but I doubt there is anything I could do from my end to change that behavior.

If I were you, I would try to contact some Apache folks (maybe go on Apache's IRC channel) and ask them if this is the expected behavior and why. If there's something I should change on my end I'd be glad to help you out.

Sorry I couldn't help more :(