Question on the free package

MrWoo

First, let me say that I am very impressed with the guidelines for this forum. How refreshing.

I have been with another webhost for awhile. Unfortunately, what started as a nice service has fallen to unpredictable now at best.

I am no html wizard by any means. I can script well in a few languages, but don't care much for html. I have been looking at sites that offer free service to just host some of my compiled scripts and information. I have my own domain name as well.

Could someone in the know answer, am I allowed to use my domain name here on the free account? Is that what you call a parked domain? Again, I can look at a DOM and figure out how to write an html page, or flounder around a cpanel till I figure out what is what. But I do not know the terminology of this much, so hopefully you understand what I mean by my question.

And can I get an educated opinion on my content? That is, I have lot's of little tools, such as a little tray program that interfaces to the windows firewall. Or .pdf/.doc files that explain how to tweak this or modify that, usually concering the OS. Files can range in size from a few kb to maybe 20mb at the largest. Again, nothing fancy, just a place to put my files and data so that I an reference them to friends or in forums. Is this service suited to that? I plan on never putting an ad on, as I don't wish to make money, just have a place to house my stuff. EDIT: I see that it is encourage to put ads up. I would not care if I did, to 'contribute', but frankly would not know where to start.

I am not at all sure what to look for in a service for my needs. Much less be able to properly ask about what service fulfills them. If anyone here sort of 'gets the drift' on what I am saying, please do respond.

And lastly, is the issue with not being able to register only a temporary one?

Thank you.

MrWoo

If you have your own domain, you can use it with the free heliohost account. I'm not quite sure what you mean by educated opinion. Ads are not 'encouraged', do as you wish. There is no date for when signups are coming back online. Sorry.

~Wizard

If you have your own domain, you can use it with the free heliohost account. I'm not quite sure what you mean by educated opinion. Ads are not 'encouraged', do as you wish. There is no date for when signups are coming back online. Sorry.

~Wizard

By educate opinion, I mean on what I want to do. As I have small-ish files to host and tech documents to display, am I going to run into problems with heliohost services. For instance I did not see a maximum file size for uploading or downloading. Things of that nature, where an educated opinion would be a long time user who has seen sites come and go, and could say 'if you are planning on that, you would be best to find a service that allows 'insert term here'' or 'that should work well here because you are allowed 'insert term here' '.

As I said, I care not about html or anything to do with the web. But, it seems, I have a need more and more to share what I do with others.

Does that explain it?

MrWoo.

Yeah, we should be able to accommodate your needs, but if you just want file storage... why not go to a file storage site?

Yes, very good question that I have thought about. I think though it would be more convenient to have a webpage with a description of what a file is, and even different versions. Also, rather than having to download a file and then look at it's readme or something, a webpage could be a better index.

While I don't want to invest time into html, I will have to at some point, because myself I would rather see a webpage with a documents content, to get a quick idea of it's value, then optionally download the pdf or doc.

I just think a webpage would offer much more flexibility in this case.

Thanks for the time to respond.

Is there a page somewhere that I can monitor to see when registration will be available again?

MrWoo.