Out-of-memory error (16M limit)

stefanscottalexx

After uploading and activating a couple of small, fairly popular Drupal modules using Drupal's admin/modules/list screen (the "Language Icons" module which is only a 18k tar.gz archive, and later the "Theme Settings API" module which is only a 10k tar.gz archive) I've gotten an error message such as:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 605885 bytes) in /home/scotalex/public_html/mydrupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 321

Unfortunately, after activating the module in Drupal and getting this error, from then on the error also appears whenever you try to de-activate the module (via the same screen in Drupal - admin/modules/list) - so it's kind of hard to back out of this error. (Forunately I found alternate methods to back out of it both times it happened, deleting some stuff directly via the cPanel File Manager, so I wouldn't have to delete my whole Drupal install and start over!)

I understand that there are lots of users on helio and the amount of memory is limited.

I'm just unsure what to do right now, because these small modules are already hitting helios memory limits - and later I'm going to have to add a few larger modules in Drupal (CCK, Views, Panels - and CCK alone is a 1.2MB tar.gz archive). I don't want to do anything too fancy - but in order to get a decent-looking Drupal site you do have to add in a few basic modules.

Am I really hitting a helios memory limit already - or does this have something do do with some cPanel maintanance that I heard about here:

http://www.helionet.org/index/index.php?showtopic=3860

I see someone else is also hitting memory limits as well, using a different application in their helios account:

http://www.helionet.org/index/index.php?showtopic=3908