Starting up

loki

Hello everyone.

I am completely new to webhosting. I looked up Heliohost on a hosting review site and decided to come take a look.

When I tried to sign up, it said that I had to have a top level domain name set up already. But I read in the reviews that Heliohost allows you to create your own domain names. This kind of feels like a chicken-and-the-egg dilemma.

What am I supposed to do exactly to start up?

Hello everyone.

I am completely new to webhosting. I looked up Heliohost on a hosting review site and decided to come take a look.

When I tried to sign up, it said that I had to have a top level domain name set up already. But I read in the reviews that Heliohost allows you to create your own domain names. This kind of feels like a chicken-and-the-egg dilemma.

You can get your own top level domain from heliohost after you've posted like 400 posts on these forums. Otherwise you'll have to get your own TLD or use a heliohost subdomain i.e nameofyourwebsite.heliohost.org.

Cheers.

Hello everyone.

You can get your own top level domain from heliohost after you've posted like 400 posts on these forums. Otherwise you'll have to get your own TLD or use a heliohost subdomain i.e nameofyourwebsite.heliohost.org.

Cheers.

I see. Good to know. What can I do in the mean time regarding hosting?

You can use a .heliohost.org subdomain. You need an existing top-level domain if you want to use a TLD - ie., if you type in some random .com that you don't own in the registration page, your site won't work. However, we can grant you free .heliohost.org subdomains :)