pre sign up

Snoop1990

Hey,

first of all I want to thank you for the great offer as you seem to be the only host that offer python, asp.net and ruby on rails for free !

The questions:

Do you offer ssh ? (I am willing to post here in the forum or even support you as a staff team member as I do it already for different hosts, for details just contact me)

Do you offer mod_python ?

Do you offer mod_fcgi or mod_fcgid ?

Where can I find detailed information about your package ? (I know so far 250mb HDD, 2500mb BW, ASP.NET, Perl, Python, Java, Ruby, no ads, no posting required. But what about addon domains ? ftp accounts ?)

Is there any way to expand my package later on ?

So these are the first questions, I ask them all as i have not found your faq yet.

Regards Snoop1990

1) Sorry, no. I don't know of any free hosts that offer jailshell, let alone full SSH. It's a very dangerous feature to offer. We try to offer as much as possible here at HelioHost, but SSH is the one thing we currently can't :(

2) No, but we offer Python through FastCGI and WSGI. This really has no bearing on functionality versus mod_python, and in most scenarios tends to be more memory efficient and more secure. For more information on our Python installation, see its page on our new home page: http://heliohost.org/home/features-mainmen...tingmenu/python.

3) Yes, we have mod_fcgid installed.

4) Our new home page is in the works at http://www.heliohost.org/home/. You can check out our old home page for stuff like addon domains and FTP accounts. We offer unlimited addon domains and unlimited FTP accounts.

5) We offer every feature we can with our free hosting plan except increased bandwidth, increased space, and SSH. The first two can be remedied by requesting an Ads Unlimited plan, but you'll have to have ads on your website. The ads are customizable and I'm sure we could work something out.

Note that you probably won't more than 250mb of diskspace unless you are running a video hosting site or something, and you won't need more than 2500mb of bandwidth unless you are running at least a medium-profile website (with at least a Google Pagerank of 3).

Unfortunately, no. I can pretty much guarantee you that most web hosts won't offer you the level of functionality you want, let alone free web hosts. In order to develop Django using django-admin.py and to run it on a dedicated FastCGI process you need to have your own server.

I suggest you either push your expectations down, or purchase a VPS server. VPS accounts are getting pretty cheap nowadays, so that might be a good alternative for you.

Yeah I know I have to spend 40$ a year for some paid hosting ... but my adsense earnings are not that high for the moment. (I just started in july this year ;) and I am near my first payout now. ) And sure there is no other free host offering ssh, that is right. But there are also very little hosts that offer django as well, because you can not develop django successful without shell. Sure it is nice to say: "My server supports django" but if you do not offer ssh I can not imagine anybody using it. It is basically impossible.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. While it is very difficult to develop on the server without SSH access, actually running your application in a production environment is almost as easy (if not just as easy) as it would be with root access.

As I said in the other topic I already tired this on some other different free host and ended up with an Error 500 (Apache) and no idea where to look for the error (all the .htaccess and fcgi configuration was like it was on the server I ported from). It basically did not work and nobody could tell me what exactly went wrong, as I had no shell to debug.

500 errors will only be generated if the dispatch.wsgi file is broken. I just did a few tests and I'm not getting any 500 errors. If you get any 500 errors, I would be happy to debug them for you.

Why don't you do a quick test and see if it works for you? Use the tutorial explained on the new homepage.

Do you see what I meant ? It is nearly impossible to run django without ssh ! your service is really cool, but if it is that difficult to port a blog what do you think what porting bigger projects take ? I am sorry my time is limited as well so I can not spend hours on debugging on an free webhost.

For my part, I go on with my development at home (not able to publish a preview yet) and I am going to buy some hosting as soon as I finished my project.

But whenever you open ssh for free webhosting or post to host please inform me (I suggest you sent me an email, as those pm sometimes go down in my spam folder). I would like to preview my projects here (and maybe even host them here afterwards if your performance fits my needs (and the project does not grow too fast).

Regards Snoop1990

By the way a really cool service you have and good luck !