exec() disabled for security reasons?

Byron

I just discovered that all of my ImageMagick scripts that use this command line no longer work anymore?

exec ("/usr/bin/convert $IN $GRAVITY $CROP -trim +repage $OUT");

They give me this error here:

http://byrondallas.heliohost.org/php/tools/simple-crop.php

http://byrondallas.heliohost.org/php/tools/simple-crop.txt

Can this be fixed or is it a permanent thing?

Thanks,

Byron

Sorry, this is a permanent thing :(

The "exec" command is really dangerous. It gives users command-line access from their PHP script. Command-line access is strictly disabled at HelioHost because it makes an attacker's job too easy. You won't find any stable free hosts that offer shell access :)

Why not use GD instead of ImageMagick? Also, why is command-line access needed for the ImageMagick extension? There is a PHP class for it.

Did you write these scripts, or was it someone else?

Sorry, this is a permanent thing :(

The "exec" command is really dangerous. It gives users command-line access from their PHP script. Command-line access is strictly disabled at HelioHost because it makes an attacker*s job too easy. You won*t find any stable free hosts that offer shell access :)

If that is the final word than I guess I*ll have to live with it. I really don*t use ImageMagick that much but it*s nice to have.

Why not use GD instead of ImageMagick? Also, why is command-line access needed for the ImageMagick extension? There is a PHP class for it.

Did you write these scripts, or was it someone else?

I*m really not that versed in php scripting and can*t answer you as to why to use "command-line" over GD. A friend of mine wrote the scripts:

http://www.lingolinda.com/2008/scripts/IM/ImageMagick.php

and is more knowledgable about ImageMagick than I am, but she also uses GD so maybe she can help me figure out how to do it differently?

btw, while I*ve got your attention, were you able to do a server build over the weekend and enable Ming? That same person "LingoLinda" is the person who I will be studying Ming with.

Thanks djbob,

Byron

EDIT:

I just realized something djbob, the url you posted is Imagick. Can you enable Imagick for me? I would much rather have Imagick than command-line anyway.

I just realized something djbob, the url you posted is Imagick. Can you enable Imagick for me? I would much rather have Imagick than command-line anyway.
Yeah, sure. I thought it was enabled already, which is why I questioned your use of the command-line utility :)

btw, while I*ve got your attention, were you able to do a server build over the weekend and enable Ming? That same person "LingoLinda" is the person who I will be studying Ming with.
It is currently compiling. I'll enable Imagick as soon as the build is done.

UPDATE

Okay, both Ming and Imagick are now installed. Have fun :)