Determining the type of processor to buy

Are there certain types of processor connectors? For example, graphics cards can be attached in pci, pci express or agp ports. Ram can be in ddr ddr2 ddr3, etc. Is there anything like that that you have to worry about if you are considering buying a new processor?

they have different sockets example

the amd quad cores are using the am2+ socket

the intel core 2 quads are using the LGA 775 socket

i suggest doing a bit of research if your thinking of

buying new hardware. also, i can tell you that while

the amd have better archatecture intel smokes them

performance wise.

Thanks for your input. I'm not really sure where to begin my researching. I have a pretty old desktop right now and I've upgraded basically every part in it except for 3 things: the pentium 4 intel processor, the soundblaster sound card, and the 56k modem. The only one of those that I'm really needing to upgrade, I think, is the processor. So, any suggests as to where to begin? Should I research my old one to see what type of socket it uses to know what to look for for a new one? I think I better do that...

ya find out what socket you have and go from there, the cool thing about the intel sockets is that some of them are actually the same and all you have to do is flash the bios to get it to work with the newer processors, but ya intel is the way to go at the moment

I'm having trouble figuring out my processor. I know it's an intel pentium 4 processor 2.8ghz And it has a part number c0724, but I can't figure out what kind of socket it uses or what I could buy to replace it. Can you help?

edit:

I think this is more specific:

Processor Type Pentium 4

Processor Brand Intel

Clock Speed 2.8 GHz

Bus Speed 800 MHz

Cache Level 1 Size 8 KB

another edit: I found it!

socket 478

So I just need to find a processor that requires socket 478 right? Should I worry about bus speed or anything else, or is that just part of the processor?

another edit: Crap...looks like I'm unupgradeable. The only socket 478 processors are pentium 4's.

Do I have to match the socket or can I change that too?

Yeah, I don't really want to do that because I just bought some ram that is the old(ancient) ddr type and it definitely wouldn't be compatible with a new board. I really need to get a new mobo though because I don't even have pci express ports...It's only a matter of time though before I win some big contest and get a huge burst of money and then I'll be able to build my dream machine; as apposed to what I'm doing now(Which is just slowly upgrading nearly every part in the machine).

Thanks for all the help guys