What is a windows service?

i want to make an application that is hidden and works in the background but keeps an icon in the system tray.

also,Visual Basic .NET says it can put a notify icon in the status area, is that where the clock is, because i thought that that was the system tray.

Please use better grammar next time you post. I cannot give much help, because I know nothing of vbasic, however, the status area is the same as the system tray I think, I see no differences.

Your best shot at finding a solution is not posting in a forum, but using this, she's your friend.

is this a she?

I doubted that.. lolz

I heard nothing about how to make a windows service, better googled it before you came here.

I guess some proz here might can help you.

Wizard and JcX, you guys are brutal, can't you just give a simple answer. :) A Windows Service is when you hire someone to clean your windows. :wacko:

Seriously though, I haven't needed to program a service, but it sounded like something I might be interested in. The article Creating a Windows Service in VB.NET explains it well. System tray and Notification area are the same thing. The notification part comes in when a particular event happens or when you hover over one of the icons. For example, if there are windows updates that need to be installed a small shield will appear and if you hover over it, it tells you something like there are new updates to install. Have fun and keep those windows clean!

Wizard and JcX, you guys are brutal, can't you just give a simple answer. :) A Windows Service is when you hire someone to clean your windows. :wacko:

LoL, thats good. thnx for telling what a Windows service is because i wasnt sure it would work for the programs im going to make.