PostgreSQL

PYO

I'm sorry, but I don't believe that cPanel provides that feature. I don't know much about PgSQL, but my guess is that that language is potentially dangerous.

Bad. It's not dangerous at all. I need some of them to make triggers (i.e. when you add record in one table the trigger adds record to another table).

Thi is from PgSQL docs:

Chapter 34. Triggers

Trigger functions can be written in most of the available procedural languages, including PL/pgSQL, PL/Tcl, PL/Perl, and PL/Python.

It is not currently possible to write a trigger function in the plain SQL function language.

Any help?

My research shows thet only on PostreSQL 8.1 or higher it is possible to use

CREATE LANGUAGE plpgsql;

to make it enabled for a db. In other versions you can only ask admin to make it availible. :(

Will you ever upgrade to 8.1+ ver?

The problem with Triggers is that people can make an infinite loop with them, effectively locking a table. Hackers have been known to do that...

Well...

1. I will not lock my table if I'll use it.

2. There is many other ways to abuse db server: for example expensive SQL queries.

What exactly are you trying to do? A mass join or mass update perhaps?

No. Some are simple db driven user access control. Other autocount updates, so I don't need to have use 'count(...)' sql command.

Abuses to server are:

- more memory needed for executing php script,

- more sql commands and results passing between script and db.

They are not very big, but...

• 2 years later...
Can I use 'plpgsql' language in my PostgreSQL?

In phpPgAdmin I didn't find it. I need it for some triggers in db.

It can be done in psql by command:

createlang plpgsql pyohost_ph;

Thanks.

Any news about this issue? I would like to be able to access plpgslq, because PostGIS functions use this language. It is possible to create a function to enable PL language, but it must be known the location of plpgsql.so file, usually something like /usr/local/pgsql/lib. Another way is to simply provide users database templates to use with plsql language enabled.

Please more info about this and it wrong to think that plpgsql is a bad thing. Simple SQL can do a lot of harm...

Cheers!