How old is Your pc

naynesh

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a laptop that's about a year or two old. It's fast. :)

Any experienced user running on Linux should have fairly fast computers, no matter how old they are.

[i'm running Linux, ftw.]

Still shining...

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

2GB RAM

ASUS P5K SE M/B

500GB SATA HD

160GB IDE HD

40GB IDE HD

DVD +/- RW DL

Rubbish graphics card.

Runs: Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy), Kubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy), Gentoo 2007.0, openSUSE 10.3

That's godly *bows down*

I have a variety of computers with some being ancient and others just being gracefully old. Most of them serve purposes though...

My main machine

---------------------

AMD Athlon 1800+ overclocked to be a 2400+

Radeon 9600 video card

Asus A7N8X ver 1.0 motherboard

1 Gb Ram

-- 6 years old or so --

My main machine has held up well running Windows XP. Granted, it can only play newer games at the lowest settings, but it works for most everything else just fine. However, the motherboard in particular is not supported in Vista. Therefore, I will upgrade this system soon.

Laptop

--------

Compaq Presario v5303nr

AMD Turion 64 ML-28 1.6GHz processor

AMD Radeon m200 integrated video

Windows XP, but Vista capable

-- 2 years old --

Other than the memory, this system should run better than my desktop. However, it simply serves as a valuable laptop for when I am not at home. I have the Vista install disks as provided by HP however I have yet to install them. The memory is simply too lousy for Vista and I haven't gotten around to upgrading it yet. Also, the integrated graphics borrows some memory for itself which would make the Vista experience even more lousy.

Laptop -- Testing

--------------------

Compaq Armada m700

Pentium III 700 Mhz processor

ATI graphics (Rage?) with 4 Mb (!!) memory

512 Mb ram

Ubuntu Linux

-- had for 3 years, is 8 years old --

This is a rather thin and light laptop which is simply out of date by today's standards. No trackpad, just one of those weird joystick track points. However, it works well with Linux and with the Netgear wireless card I have. As stated, it is a testing laptop for Linux so that my digital life doesn't come to an end if something wonky happens with that OS. However, this laptop does have a dead battery... the nice thing is that it has the same power adapter as the laptop above.

Desktop -- testing

-----------------------

AMD K6-3 400 Mhz

Voodoo 3 video card

384 Mb memory

-- a long time??? --

This desktop would be a decent server except for the fact that it would take electricity if it was on. Also, I'm not sure if my ISP would be too happy with me having a server. Thus, this computer is sitting at the moment. It has Ubuntu Server edition on it though...

I have some other digital devices that might count as computers... those being a Nokia n800 and a Dell Axim x30 High. However, since they are not computers per say, I will exclude them from this listing.

I found that having a purpose for each device is vital. If the devices do not serve a discrete role then they are likely to be ignored. Otherwise, as you can guess, I am behind on the upgrade curve. I will eventually choose a desktop machine that will serve me for years to come... once I figure out what to purchase.

Got a couple.

Laptop's about half a year.

Main desktop about 2 years.

Other desktop about 3 years.

Storage about 6 years.

Current test machine somewheres in the 3-5 year range (I don't know, I got it free! :D ).

I'm assuming all the computers in my basement don't count, because I never use them (they're along the lines of 286's or 386's, mostly).

New main desktop coming this summer (yays, can't wait!), pushing either "other desktop" or "main desktop" to Server 2003, the other one gets whatever Linux distro server edition I'm trying out at the time. Currently running a couple versions of Ubuntu, XP, and Vista.

My laptop's 10 years old...not kidding (it still has the designed for windows 98 sticker on it...and a 98 SE key on the back).

PIII 450mhz

320 MB RAM (upgraded it :D)

8 MB S3 Savage/IX @ 100mhz clock (120 safe overclock)

DirectX 8.1 (no 9 support)

And it runs XP Pro perfectly :)

My case, motherboard, sound card, and processor are all five years old. Everything else has been upgraded in the last year. So, I really don't know how to say how old my computer is cause some of it's older than other parts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...