Vista draining notebook batteries

As I read two months ago on a special notebook feature in the PC User mag I read, the magazine claimed that Vista used more battery power than it would have if you used Windows XP or 2000. Is this true (to those who frequently use notebooks) or is it a load of (Insert what you like here). And then, do you use Aero 3D, or do you turn it off? Currently If I were to buy a laptop I would rather stick to XP mainly coz of battery life, but can anyone prove me wrong?

Technically speaking, it can drain battery life. Due to Aero Glass and the like, the OS requires more power (it constantly uses the CPU and graphics chip). I don't have a notebook, so I can't really say, but if I were you, I'd stick to XP if you need great battery life. Anyway, Vista is sorta sucky.

Technically speaking, it can drain battery life. Due to Aero Glass and the like, the OS requires more power (it constantly uses the CPU and graphics chip). I don't have a notebook, so I can't really say, but if I were you, I'd stick to XP if you need great battery life. Anyway, Vista is sorta sucky.

I second that. The mag I read said get it with a new comp, but not buy a version and install it. Looks I know who to listen to...

I have heard that lots of retailers are not selling computers with Vista Installed on them. They have xp and worked out a deal with microshaft that these people can get a free upgrade to vista if wanted.

Hmmm... watch your language alright? I'm not interested in Vista at all because of compatibility problems with many hardware and programs.

I have heard that lots of retailers are not selling computers with Vista Installed on them. They have xp and worked out a deal with microshaft that these people can get a free upgrade to vista if wanted.

Wow, really? o_O

Vista doesn't seem to really have a positive consumer reaction...

Vista doesn't seem to really have a positive consumer reaction...

It's a bit mixed. While there are many who welcome the change, there are a lot of critics, and critics are the loudest.

However, XP also had a lot of critics and still does. They'll get tired of being loud, eventually.

As I read two months ago on a special notebook feature in the PC User mag I read, the magazine claimed that Vista used more battery power than it would have if you used Windows XP or 2000. Is this true (to those who frequently use notebooks) or is it a load of (Insert what you like here). And then, do you use Aero 3D, or do you turn it off? Currently If I were to buy a laptop I would rather stick to XP mainly coz of battery life, but can anyone prove me wrong?

that's definitely true. i have vista on my laptop, and it lasts maybe 2 hours, 3 hours tops, because as someone said, the aero 3d uses a lot of battery power because of the load it puts on the graphics card...for the transparencies to work it's gotta calculate everything. still, i don't travel really, and i'm usually plugged in, so i always use aero 3D. :) if you value battery life, stick with xp.