Are you running Windows Vista?

Van

Are you running Vista?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vista uses alot of RAM so it can actually load faster.

I've noticed just turning the computer on and logging on to the internet as fast as possible is about 40-60% less time. (not including connecting because on dial up that always takes a minute).

But they have either removed or made it a lot harder to get to or use the features XP had that made your computer friendly to use. I think it's because Microsoft wants to make a "fashion" computer like Mac but it just fails.

Thats about it. It is a horrible os. Get this. 1 Account. There is no such thing as an Admin account (visible in xp by pressing F8 during boot) So, the first account created is considered the Admin Account. Everytime you go to run a non microsoft program, it halts all ops. of the computer and displays a dialog asking you if it is ok to run the program, that only and admininstrator can run such programs. Why in the world, if there is one account which is the admin by default would windows ask me if i am an administrator on that computer. I just cant stand it period.

Are there any huge improve from Vista to XP? I don't see much of a reason to upgrade just yet...

Stability, security, and faster provided you have the hardware required.

It's a downgrade. It's compatibility with most games and applications just sucks, IMHO.

All it is is a pretty XP.

It's 100% compatible with most games and applications. Sorry if that's not good enough for you

Pretty XP+Security+Stability=Vista

Y'know, that's actually what people said about XP migrating from Windows 98SE, back in the day. Look at what you're running now.

Vista uses alot of RAM so it can actually load faster.

I've noticed just turning the computer on and logging on to the internet as fast as possible is about 40-60% less time. (not including connecting because on dial up that always takes a minute).

But they have either removed or made it a lot harder to get to or use the features XP had that made your computer friendly to use. I think it's because Microsoft wants to make a "fashion" computer like Mac but it just fails.

Yeah, it does what all the other systems do and caches memory for faster loading.

Aero is rather inefficient. Contrary to popular belief, 3D desktops are not supposed to take up that much resources. I can run Compiz-Fusion in Linux with 256MB of RAM and an onboard 64MB Intel graphics chipset, with it only taking around 5MB of RAM.

Thats about it. It is a horrible os. Get this. 1 Account. There is no such thing as an Admin account (visible in xp by pressing F8 during boot) So, the first account created is considered the Admin Account. Everytime you go to run a non microsoft program, it halts all ops. of the computer and displays a dialog asking you if it is ok to run the program, that only and admininstrator can run such programs. Why in the world, if there is one account which is the admin by default would windows ask me if i am an administrator on that computer. I just cant stand it period.

They do it Ubuntu-style. If you need to do something with root access in Ubuntu, you need to gain root access temporarily. This method of doing things is more secure. Say, a virus is trying to go through and corrupt your files. The virus can only corrupt your user files and leaves the rest of your system intact in which you can recover what's left easily. Vista uses UAC to do the same thing as Ubuntu does, as it asks if it's okay, and for that moment, you gain Administrative access if you would like to run it. That's how it works. But, if you prefer convienence over security like most Windows users, you can turn off UAC, or downgrade to XP.

I'd be better for you guys to actually switch OSes instead of crying devil while lining the beast's pockets.

• 2 weeks later...
Im not running on vista , no but i made my computer look exactly like vista with the vista transformation pack

same sounds

big icons

same start menu

logon menu

etc

etc

So.... Your 'made to look like' Vista PC runs better than Vista...

But still looks like Vista?

- Van

So.... Your 'made to look like' Vista PC runs better than Vista...

But still looks like Vista?

- Van

Yes, there is such thing, I have it on my PC user mag DVD that transforms your computer into "Vista" though it can't easily be removed because of a bug. So it makes your thing look like vista, but its still different.