Dell starts selling Ubuntu desktops

And so it begins. I believed for a while now, that all Linux needs is a company to be behind it and distribute.

Nice, but if the OS is, in most cases, free, why are they distributing it and making people pay for it?

Most people don't know what Linux is, or can't even install an OS. Ubuntu PCs will probably be cheaper, 'cuz there are no licensing costs. This gets the Linux name out there in the general market, rather than just for the computer elite. If more companies follow suit, Linux will actually start to eat up Microsoft's market share and even Mac's.

On top of that, any company serious in distributing Ubuntu, like Dell is, will help open source projects along by providing help from their own corporation.

Dell began selling Ubuntu desktops, which makes desktop Linux closer and closer, and isn't just for nerds anymore.

http://www.dell.com/open

I think this is great. We resent the licensing costs from Microsoft and it will be nice to see an affordable, viable alternative. We had considered buying one of these Dell's or converting one of our older Dell workstations to use as a web fileserver. Ubuntu offers a version called "Edubuntu" which is designed just for schools. We are watching this particular distro with great interest because as it matures, it may offer us some needed extra options instead of constantly throwing away and upgrading our older Windows desktops. We really like the KDE desktop, however, and that is not an option right now in Edubuntu. Ubuntu does have a KDE variant, however.

What we are REALLY looking for. though, is a Linux distro that incorporates Moodle and Focus /SIS together preinstalled or a distro with a friendlier installer feature in its GUI similar to Windows. I think some distros are working on this, but I am waiting for all of the above to combined into one distro. When that happens, it will be a blow for poor Bill Gates. This is the main reason the education market does not move away from Windows. We also need a solution similar to WINE to run our legacy software that is reliable. This is when Linux will gain market share.

Greg Stroud

Headmaster

Life Gate Academy

stroudg@lga.heliohost.org

Dell's Ubuntu desktops/laptops aren't that much cheaper than Windows desktops/laptops. They're using the extra money to contribute to open source projects.

My main quip about Ubuntu, is that you'll most likely break your system in an upgrade and that it's easier just to reinstall the system. No point in that.

ah man. i was so excited...but i always come back to the fact that so many windows applications can't be found on linux...and then i remembered programs like Wine...my friend says that applications run slower on Wine though - is this true? it makes sense, but is it a great difference?

//edit

never mind...the Wine website at least claims it's just as fast...and i don't know how to delete this post...lol.

but it's pretty cool that Dell's starting to sell laptops with ubuntu...

never mind...the Wine website at least claims it's just as fast...and i don't know how to delete this post...lol.

but it's pretty cool that Dell's starting to sell laptops with ubuntu...

Depends on the program. Some are faster, some are slower. Only one program holds me back from only having ArchLinux on my box, rather than dual booting Windows.

I would like to see the open source market open up, but I do worry about a few things. Payed software distributors have many spin offs due to constant development, this would really slow if open source became really big. Microsoft probably puts more money into development than the whole linux team gets in salary, combined. Second, one of the greatest things about linux is the security. No one trys to hack it because they know however has it isn't some tard about computers and will keep his [bleeped!] straight, or doesn't have any money to offer. And theres no point in putting the effort into hacking it since there aren't that many users. Well if linux became more popular, that would all change.

But it would help linux expand with more program capatibility if it became more popular.

could go both ways.

And theres no point in putting the effort into hacking it since there aren't that many users. Well if linux became more popular, that would all change.

Linux, if becomes main stream in OS's, can and will be a target for hacking and attacks.

Wrong.

Security-wise, Linux is a powerhouse. Don't say that no one uses it. The majority of webservers run Linux and that's what Linux was designed for. Linux is more than mainstream for the internet world, it's the lifeblood of it. We just don't notice it. What do you think Helionet is on? Microsoft Windows Server 2003? Hardly. Linux has been the target of web hackers for ages ever since it started out and gained. However, it still stands strong as one of the most stable and secure servers. Why? It was built for security, and in the rare case a threat surfaces, it's quickly fixed. You don't hear things all over Digg about how a Linux server was haxxored do you? What you guys need to realise is how popular and main-stream Linux is, not as a desktop, but as a server.

On the user side, Linux benefits from being built a server OS and so does Mac for using FreeBSD as their core. Everything is run in user-mode (as does Vista). The only way a virus could even have a chance of doing damage is to do it in a root account. Therefore, a virus that auto-executes (doesn't happen in Vista, but those below Vista), even if possible, can't do too much harm.

I'm not saying that it's invulnerable, I'm saying that as a desktop OS, it's already well-equipped as far as security goes.

And theres no point in putting the effort into hacking it since there aren't that many users. Well if linux became more popular, that would all change.

Linux, if becomes main stream in OS's, can and will be a target for hacking and attacks.

Wrong.

Security-wise, Linux is a powerhouse. Don't say that no one uses it. The majority of webservers run Linux and that's what Linux was designed for. Linux is more than mainstream for the internet world, it's the lifeblood of it. We just don't notice it. What do you think Helionet is on? Microsoft Windows Server 2003? Hardly. Linux has been the target of web hackers for ages ever since it started out and gained. However, it still stands strong as one of the most stable and secure servers. Why? It was built for security, and in the rare case a threat surfaces, it's quickly fixed. You don't hear things all over Digg about how a Linux server was haxxored do you? What you guys need to realise is how popular and main-stream Linux is, not as a desktop, but as a server.

On the user side, Linux benefits from being built a server OS and so does Mac for using FreeBSD as their core. Everything is run in user-mode (as does Vista). The only way a virus could even have a chance of doing damage is to do it in a root account. Therefore, a virus that auto-executes (doesn't happen in Vista, but those below Vista), even if possible, can't do too much harm.

I'm not saying that it's invulnerable, I'm saying that as a desktop OS, it's already well-equipped as far as security goes.

Very Good Points

MONKEY