Not Poll: DVRs, PVRs, and TVOs.

Who all has a DVR or something of the like? We happen to have one in our dish network satalite box, but my dad also got one in a DVD player. So... whaddaya guys think about them?

I use a "homemade" DVR, it is pretty much a small form factor PC with a TV tuner card so I can record shows. I also installed a DVD burner drive inside in case I wanted to watch shows on another device. The DVD recorders are pretty nice, I mean, some even have built-in HDDs, but I find the interface of a computer to be mroe intuitive, besides, then I can play games on my 65" television. :D

I only have one computer based burner and one DVD-ROM.... two regular dvd players. You must have a mansion if you need five DVD players - or do you even use all of them?

Each television in my house has at least one DVD player hooked up to it, because DVDs are so ubiquitous. That is why they are called digital versatile discs.

... Anyways, back on topic. I dont have a dvr or anything related. I'm poor and dont watch much television. Do you people live in your rooms watcing tv and sufing the web? *very scared*

I don't watch much television either. But that's because most of the good shows are at night. But if I were you, I would invest in a DVR. You can fashion a home-made DVR with basic PC components and media centre software. And since you can add larger HDDs to computers, it is easy to upgrade.

Well, the latest anything goes that I find worth watching is 2am, and I'm usually up till three or all night, so I dont really see the point. As far as I'm concerned a DVR just adds to a persons ability to be lazy. If a show is on, I'll watch it, and if It isnt, Ill do something else.

Well, the latest anything goes that I find worth watching is 2am, and I'm usually up till three or all night, so I dont really see the point. As far as I'm concerned a DVR just adds to a persons ability to be lazy. If a show is on, I'll watch it, and if It isnt, Ill do something else.

Although it makes life better for people, DVRs don't necessarily make people lazier. It just gives them time to do other stuff. For instance, they can record a show while shopping that they otherwise would have watched live. If they didn't have a DVR, they would make an excuse that they have to catch a show, now they can go shopping since they have the DVR. I mean, honestly, it doesn't make you any lazier than you are with a regular television.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...