Help me with my firewall

My firewall that comes with my windows xp slows down my computer. What will be a better one firewall I can download and use for free?

:(

i would go into the services and disable the windows security and theres one in there about firewalls. then download avg antivirus or avast. they both have built in firewalls. if you are using a rounter, you can just turn off the firewall services on your computer, because your router has a firewall built into it.

• 1 month later...
How good are the routers firewalls?

The firewall in the typical SOHO (Small Office Home Office) router is limited but adequate. The average home user doesn't need much more than what the router provides to protect the home network.

A software firewall on the workstation in addition to the routers firewall is simply another layer of protection. Windows XP's firewall that comes in XP Service Pack 2 is also adequate but if you believe that this is causing your performance issues then disable it and try either ZoneAlarm or Comodo Firewall. Both of which have free versions.

AVG provides a free antivirus product that is also helpful but the best solution is probably to run antivirus, personal firewall and some kind of spyware protection such as WinPatrol, and/or Spybot.