Stevie Filesystem Errors

HelioHost

Yesterday during a routine scan of Stevie's hard drive an error was detected on the partition primarily used for storage of system log files. Even though this is a non-critical data area and losing all of the log files wouldn't crash the server, Stevie was shutdown to fix the filesystem errors. The process was successful and fixing the problem only resulted in two hours of downtime.

However, shortly after the server came back online it became obvious that there was also a problem with the filesystem that is used to store temporary files. At this point the decision was made to do a full system scan to make sure that there weren't any other problems that would show up down the line. Unfortunately full system scans take a very long time to complete, and that is the reason for the downtime overnight last night.

We are happy to announce that the full system scan fixed the problems detected on the /tmp partition and the /var partition, and everything seems to be fully functional now. If you notice anything else unexpected happening please let us know.

It should also be noted that this is very uncommon for Stevie to experience this kind of downtime. In fact, before the two reboots yesterday Stevie hadn't even been restarted in nearly 200 days. As is clearly indicated on our server monitors Stevie has had 99%+ uptime for the last six months, which is better than most paid hosting services.

• Like 1

Thank you for fixing the problem. I am glad to say that you are so transparent about your service and company, I think very few non-profit organization is transparent as HelioHost. Bravo Heliohost.

However, have you taken precaution that this problem will not happen in future?

Actually I do not have so much knowledge on server technology. But I want to ask you, I am using two name server right! One is ns1.heliohost.org and other is ns2.heliohost.org. So, if one goes down other one should give backup service. But yesterday, have you scan both of them parallel, so both has goes down?

But I want to ask you, I am using two name server right! One is ns1.heliohost.org and other is ns2.heliohost.org. So, if one goes down other one should give backup service. But yesterday, have you scan both of them parallel, so both has goes down?

No, the nameservers were both fully operational yesterday, they simply take in URL requests made by client browsers and send back the IP address for the domain in the URL, your domain is on Stevie so the nameservers were telling your browser to go to 216.218.192.170. However Stevie was offline and couldn't take requests so when your browser took that IP and tried forming connections with it the requests hit a dead end and timed out.

So, what is the use of two name server?

Even I have seen some hosting company give 5 name server. Why?

Can I use one name server?

Is it possible to have a back up server of Stevie? So that when Stevie will goes down the other server will give back up hosting?

I am not criticizing Heliohost, I respect their service, for my knowledge I am asking.

So, what is the use of two name server?

they simply take in URL requests made by client browsers and send back the IP address for the domain in the URL, your domain is on Stevie so the nameservers were telling your browser to go to216.218.192.170.

Is it possible to have a back up server of Stevie?

That's really what big companies do, with the loads of moneybags they make from customers, not possible here. If we had a spare server we'd likely use it to split some services from Johnny and make Johnny pure JSP and have the new one deal with ASP/RoR services, or vice-versa. It'd be the best way to keep everything as stable as possible.

EDIT: For the record I'm not trying to shoot down your ideas or anything, you have great ideas that are business best practices really, but we're not a business, we simply don't have the budget to do things the 'right' way.