Word Press Editing In Notepad

I am using notepad and WSftp to edit my WP theme. I am trouble finding the main page that needs to be updated. I have gone through every .php file I see.

I figured it would be either index.php or page.php and both have some info that I was able to edit. But if I right click on the live page and view source I see a more comprehensive page with all coding. I do not know the name of this page file. It is not index.html of course.

www.360DegreeNetworking

Can someone tell me which is the main file to edit? Again, I have viewed every .php file here in notepad and some in other directories. Looking for someone who uses WP enough to know for sure right off the top of their head.

Thanks - Xwinuser - Ex Windows user -X windows user

Figured I shouldn't but I can. :) Appreciate the links. I read them earlier today. They did mention editing the PHP files in notepad which I already know how to do. Just have not found the right file. Thought maybe something was going on like with ASP creating HTML on the fly.

I was able to remove some objects that were not available for editing in the Theme. In fact, the theme is pretty limiting. I may have to strip it to bare bones and start from there but still using the minimal template components.

Themes are sandboxed into a set of files that are dynamically overlaid on the content. In other words, you shouldn't be editing any php files in the main wordpress directory.

http://codex.wordpre...eme_Development

http://codex.wordpre...g/Editing_Files

Maybe it's just this theme but it only gives me a very few options. For example, I cannot place images where I want. And the side bar has little or no options.

AFAIK, It's just php on top of SQL. Why not just edit the theme instead?

Maybe it's just this theme but it only gives me a very few options. For example, I cannot place images where I want. And the side bar has little or no options.

You misunderstand. Instead of using the WP dashboard to select some pre-configured options, you can customize the template and styles of the theme to suit your tastes. Those files are the ones you should edit with notepad.

I have been editing the standard PHP files that WP says to edit in the links you sent.

I am editing them outside of the WP admin console in Notepad and uploading them through WSftp.

I have been able to change a few things but I want to reposition some images. I can change the image itself, change sidebar items, edit fonts, etc. but I do not see the main HTML that will let me change image position.

So It must be as you say. That the HTML is determined by these PHP files (and CSS) and then overlaid to a new, dynamic file. It is this main file I was hoping to capture and edit but it does not seem possible. I am still researching though and will post here if I find different. Thanks.

You misunderstand. Instead of using the WP dashboard to select some pre-configured options, you can customize the template and styles of the theme to suit your tastes. Those files are the ones you should edit with notepad.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am editing the ones shown in the screenshot above. Those are the ones WP support says to edit but none have what I want to change.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess to clarify and bump the question...on my page I have a .png file called logo.png. To the left of it I want to put that spinning globe GIF you see in one of my posts.

I should be able to add a simple table and two cells but which page do I edit? None of the PHP pages have the code that needs to be edited. I guess it is dynamically created by PHP and CSS but there has to be a way.

If I view source on the live page and copy that source to notepad, I can edit it and make the page look how I want it to. The problem is I do not know the name of the HTML page I am editing.

I edited the code and put it in my public_html folder for an example but that is outside of the WordPress admin. If I use that page I give up all the WordPress features.

http://www.360degreenetworking.com/sping.html <<<< I want this in WordPress

The WP admin dashboard for this theme at least does not let me edit the needed code, it seems.

logo.png is the name of a default image in the WP theme. It is positioned by the WordPress theme.

I can replace the image, no problem, with another as long as I keep the logo.png name but I also want to put another image next to it. None of the .PHP files that come with the theme (shown in my first post) present me with code where I can edit the positioning of the logo.png graphic.

Incidentally, right now I am getting an error 500 on the page but have not touched it since my last post and it was working. Funny, I can ping 360DegreeNetworking.com though.

Cleared cache. Will just wait and see on this part. Please advise on the other if you come up with something. Thanks!