Stevie downtime

Ashoat

Hey guys,

In a couple minutes I'll be beginning a memory test on Stevie to try to get to the bottom of the recent slowness. Should take about an hour. Hopefully we'll figure something out!

Thanks,

djbob

UPDATE

Oh, also all of HelioHost will be down for about 15 minutes so I can check Charlie's power usage.

Well I did the memory check, but everything was okay after around 1.5 passes. Looks like it's not a memory issue.

Yes I understood that part. :) I guess I should have worded my reply a little differently. I Should have said, "Did you come up with anything else or are we still uncertain to what the problem is?"

Guest Geoff

@djbob

Could you try testing an alternate webserver to see if it replies faster (for example paste). I'm not suggesting that we switch webservers, I'm just suggesting you test another one out to see if apache is the problem.

Hmm... I've adjusted some parameters. Let's see if it works.

I don't know what you did, but for some time access to at least one of Stevie's IPs - 216.218.192.170 - was blocked (it didn't answer even for a ping) while access to 65.19.143.2 was fine. But I guess you may know this already.

Back on the topic... I am not a hardware expert, but maybe network card or something else of this kind is broken and can not handle more than X connections or limits transfer speed which cause the slow responces while not generating server load. Pure guess work.

Guest Geoff
I don't know what you did, but for some time access to at least one of Stevie's IPs - 216.218.192.170 - was blocked (it didn't answer even for a ping) while access to 65.19.143.2 was fine. But I guess you may know this already.

This wasn't what I did and I didn't know this already. I didn't block any IPs.

I don't know if that was only one, that's why I wrote that access to at least one of the Stevie's IPs - 216.218.192.170 (my test account on Stevie is on it) - was blocked, while access to 65.19.143.2 (main one for stevie.heliohost.org) was fine. I didn't check any other Stevie's IPs apart these two.

I have checked from various locations, so it's not that just I was blocked. And that was very first time that I did notice such situation. It was for 2 or 3 hours only. At the time of my post it was already fine (aka. back to being intermittently slow, but accessible).

Geoff: what did you change? And we are running Mongrel servers for Ruby on Rails. Are those working? They are piped through Apache's mod_proxy, but you can access them directly on the localhost by accessing the port the server is broadcasting on.