[Solved] Huge downtimes in the last few days on Johnny

MardukCorp

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be something else than usually. But I may be wrong, of course.

FTP and cPanel is accessible, only HTTP on port 80 is not. cPanel reports practically no server load, but memory usage is surprisingly high (especially swap) as for the server that do almost nothing.

Additionally - which for me is the main factor that it's something different this time, but I may be wrong, of course - the nameserver (located physically on the same server) has stopped to respond for DNS queries on the 64.62.211.131 IP, the one assigned to ns1 subdomain. It does respond on .132, on .133, it does respond on .134, so it works, but does not respond on .131 IP.

Not the nameserver on .131 thing, but maybe it's completely separate problem accidentally started almost at the same time, little bit after Johnny started being inaccessible.

To be honest, I really have no idea what you just said!! :lol: :wacko:

Short version:

ns1.heliohost.org does not work for almost 24 hours already.

Longer version:

Technically there is only one nameserver on heliohost.

But it's accessible through 4 IP addresses (maybe more, but these 4 I know for sure):

64.62.211.131 (as ns1.heliohost.org), 64.62.211.132, 64.62.211.133, 64.62.211.134 (as ns2.heliohost.org).

It doesn't matter to which IP address you'll send the DNS request - the same nameserver installed on Cody will answer you. For every regular browser, though, ns1/.131 and ns2/.134 are the only "official" addresses.

But for 24 hours already for some reason it does not respond for DNS queries when being asked through .131 / ns1 address.

The same IP address is assigned to johnny.heliohost.org, so the problem may (or may not) be related to the latest longer problem with Johnny being inaccessible.

This fact has no serious effect on websites being accessible or not, as ns2/.134 still does answer (when works at all) but something is definitelly wrong in there.

More serious problem is that the nameserver (whole nameserver, accessible through both ns1 and ns2 addresses) is down so often (in other topic you said Cody has 95% uptime, which is low) as this has effect on theoretically more stable Stevie being so much inaccessible (if one use heliohost nameservers for domains hosted on it), too.

Looks like it's fixed now. :)

When your statement pointed to Johnnys downtimes, sadly its not fixed so far. The nearly 15 hours of downtime are over, but Johnny is still running very badly and is at the moment offline again.

Still offline. I can't access my website.

User: infantex

Site: www.infantex.com.mx

Server: johnny

As far as I can tell, it isn't that user's fault. cPanel put some httpd.conf directives out of order, and so the first VirtualHost (that user's) started loading for everyone. At this point everything looks to be working...

Piotr: 64.62.211.131 is not (nor has it ever been) ns1.heliohost.org. 131 maps to Johnny, whereas 132-134 map to Cody (132 is Cody, 133 is ns1, and 134 is ns2). You're right in saying that 132-134 are all mapping to the same nameserver, but 131 doesn't (nor should it) map to a nameserver. You can do reverse DNS queries (dig -x) on any of these IPs to confirm.

As far as I can tell, it isn't that user's fault. cPanel put some httpd.conf directives out of order, and so the first VirtualHost (that user's) started loading for everyone. At this point everything looks to be working...

Piotr: 64.62.211.131 is not (nor has it ever been) ns1.heliohost.org. 131 maps to Johnny, whereas 132-134 map to Cody (132 is Cody, 133 is ns1, and 134 is ns2). You're right in saying that 132-134 are all mapping to the same nameserver, but 131 doesn't (nor should it) map to a nameserver. You can do reverse DNS queries (dig -x) on any of these IPs to confirm.

DJbob,

Many thanks for fixing this issue. I appreciate all of your hard work on this issue and the service that you offer.

DJbob,

Many thanks for fixing this issue. I appreciate all of your hard work on this issue and the service that you offer.