[Solved] Php extensions

Surae

Hello,

Primary, very thanks for your service, very serious and complete. Now, the real idea which created this post :

Many extension are available yet, but one or two more could be enable. I think that :

• Apc : or another cache accelerator would be very usefull and would permit to have more hardware (better for hd and a little cpu) and software (less loading time) efficiency
  • intl : usefull functions

With hope you will agree.

The last advantages is with extensions the servers become symfony2 and drupal compliant. :D

Best regards,

Surae

No security risk for both but after speed search apc present problems with memory use on shared hosting, it's possible to find solutions, but there were difficult.

So for the moment i think intl and posix_isatty could be usefull and presents no side effects. For apc, this could be good and usefull (with symfony, reduce cpu time by 50% or more), but more problematic.

An actual solution for apc can be find here : http://www.brandonturner.net/blog/2009/07/...p_opcode_cache/

Caches are helpful with lots of repetitive data access, but on big shared hosts that usually isn't a common scenario. Even if it was, cPanel doesn't seem to offer APC.

On the other hand, intl is supported. I'll keep that one in mind for next time I recompile Apache.

Guest Geoff

It seems that enabling APC would be beneficial. In fact, it was supposed to be included in PHP6, until it died.

We could try enabling it, and the disable it if performance is worse.

Guest Geoff

The error is:

package pcre-7.7-umask.2.x86_64 (which is newer than pcre-6.6-6.el5_6.1.i386) is already installed
  file /usr/share/man/man1/pcregrep.1.gz from install of pcre-6.6-6.el5_6.1.i386 conflicts with file from package pcre-7.7-umask.2.x86_64
  file /usr/share/man/man1/pcretest.1.gz from install of pcre-6.6-6.el5_6.1.i386 conflicts with file from package pcre-7.7-umask.2.x86_64

I'd be wary of removing pcre-6.6.6 as RHEL hasn't updated yet. Is it possible to install pcre-7.7 to a separate location and to compile APC with a custom PCRE path?

Guest Geoff
I'd be wary of removing pcre-6.6.6 as RHEL hasn't updated yet. Is it possible to install pcre-7.7 to a separate location and to compile APC with a custom PCRE path?

pcre-7.7 is already installed and I'm guessing that's what is causing the problem. I'm trying to install pcre-6.6 because that's the version that's available in devel.

Never mind, got it working.