[Solved] Disk Usage is 100MB instead of 40MB

grospied

I have had this problem for a long time, I thought it would sort itself out on its own. The size of all my files on my site is about 40MB, but the two places that show disk usage say it is over 100MB. I don't do anything fancy with my site, not even email, so I don't think it could be a "core" dump.

Thanks.

Have you tried the disk usage tool in cpanel?

Yes, I tried that tool, and it says the extra 60MB is in 'other'. I ran that php script (after changing the extension to .php) by uploading it to my public_html folder and navigating to it from the web. It didn't find any core files. I don't think it searched anywhere outside of public_html and its subdirectories. Is there a different way I should be running it?

Guest Geoff
Yes, I tried that tool, and it says the extra 60MB is in 'other'. I ran that php script (after changing the extension to .php) by uploading it to my public_html folder and navigating to it from the web. It didn't find any core files. I don't think it searched anywhere outside of public_html and its subdirectories. Is there a different way I should be running it?

Yes, but you should be able to use the chart below the graph (scroll down to the bottom), and it will tell you which directory is taking up the most space. [under MB, see which one has the highest number]

My tool only checks the public_html directory and it's subs. It doesn't check your home directory, but you can check your home directory either through ftp or the cpanel file manager.

I don't see any core files. The cPanel disk usage utility looks like this:

Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Guest Geoff

Give me a minute. Apparently you own files outside your home directory.

What is your username? What server are you on?

I have a similar problem. cPanel main page and disk usage viewer report disk usage as 245.74 MB, with public_html being 167.85 MB large. "Other" is listed as being 77.25 MB large. I saw no files in my root directory that could possibly be that large. WordPress throws errors when I try to upgrade it, and this may be why. What is this?

Guest Geoff

The problem is there are files outside your home directory that you own.

Here are the results of the scan:

/home/grospied
/home/grospied/public_ftp
/home/grospied/public_ftp/incoming
/home/grospied/public_html
/home/grospied/public_html/cgi-bin
/home/grospied/public_html/definition.html

/home/grospied/.sqmaildata/grospied.pref
/home/grospied/.sqmaildata/grospied.abook
/home/grospied/.sqmaildata/grospied@conflation.heliohost.org.pref
/home/grospied/.sqmaildata/grospied@conflation.heliohost.org.abook
/home/grospied/.sqmailattach
/home/grospied/site_search.php
/home/grospied/site_search.old
/home/virtfs/dblatt/var/spool/mail/grospied

However, the last result:

/home/virtfs/dblatt/var/spool/mail/grospied

Is outside your home directory. It appears that it is a mail directory or something?

On the cPanel disk usage viewer, the numbers below the graph only showed the home directory and its subdirectories. I attached a screenshot.

I have no idea what that directory might be. I remember sending a few test emails when I first signed up with HelioHost, but I haven't used it since. Maybe that directory has nothing important in it. It seemed to show up when there was a big move to a different server. I'd like to delete it, if possible.

Thanks Everybody

post-20730-1303158461.gif