[Solved] MySQL Connection via ASP

Custergrant

Sorry for the next post. I actually resolved the previous errors; I just bypassed it altogether.

However, I need to connect to my MySQL database. And it appears that I cannot connect. I get "Cannot validate data" errors or an error saying that the initialization string for the Mysql Connect is wrong.

Snippet of webconfig:

<configuration>
 <appSettings>

<add key="connString" value="Server=johnny.heliohost.org;Database=custer_Simon2;Uid=custer_user;Pwd=*******;" />

</appSettings>
<connectionStrings/>
<system.web>
....and so on

I have made the user custer_user, and have given that account full privileges. I have also enabled remote MySQL access (% character used). I have tried using Port and Driver in the above connection string as well, but I receive errors saying they are not valid keywords.

.aspx snippet of implementation:

Dim sqlConn As New SqlConnection(System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings("connString"))
	sqlConn.Open()
               Dim sqlComm As New SqlCommand("INSERT INTO Users " & _ and so on

This was working fine with my offline server. So what needs to be changed to work on this server?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you very much.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure. I figured I was trying to connect to MS SQL, so I changed it to MySQL, but I keep getting this error:

Unrecognized attribute 'providerName'. (/home/custer/public_html/web.config line 3)

Description: HTTP 500. Error processing request.

Stack Trace:

System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Unrecognized attribute 'providerName'. (/home/custer/public_html/web.config line 3)

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationElement.DeserializeElement (System.Xml.XmlReader reader, Boolean serializeCollectionKey) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationElementCollection.OnDeserializeUnrecognizedElement (System.String elementName, System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationElement.DeserializeElement (System.Xml.XmlReader reader, Boolean serializeCollectionKey) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Configuration.AppSettingsSection.DeserializeElement (System.Xml.XmlReader reader, Boolean serializeCollectionKey) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationSection.DoDeserializeSection (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationSection.DeserializeSection (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Configuration.Configuration.GetSectionInstance (System.Configuration.SectionInfo config, Boolean createDefaultInstance) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationSectionCollection.get_Item (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Configuration.Configuration.GetSection (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationManager.GetSection (System.String sectionName, System.String path, System.Web.HttpContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationManager.GetSection (System.String sectionName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Web.Configuration.HttpConfigurationSystem.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigSystem

.GetSection (System.String configKey) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection (System.String sectionName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.get_AppSettings () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationManager.get_AppSettings () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.LoadVirtualPathsToIgnore () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

But that resulted from me adding the providerName attribute, but that is no longer present, and I restored things to the way they were, and I am still getting this error. It's becoming rather frustrating.

Don't know if my problem is same kind as the creator of this thread but it seems to be the most propriet to post in.

I'm trying to deploy my site and I'm getting this error after upload all the stuff.

Failed to find or load the registered .Net Framework Data Provider.

Stack Trace:

System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Failed to find or load the registered .Net Framework Data Provider.
  at System.Data.Common.DbProviderFactories.GetFactory (System.Data.DataRow providerRow) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Data.Common.DbProviderFactories.GetFactory (System.String providerInvariantName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at NHibernate.Driver.ReflectionBasedDriver..ctor (System.String providerInvariantName, System.String driverAssemblyName, System.String connectionTypeName, System.String commandTypeName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at NHibernate.Driver.MySqlDataDriver..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoCMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.MonoCMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

On localhost everything is fine, connection with database works perfectly (used Connector/Net).

I'd to add some lines of code to machine.config though

<system.data>
    <DbProviderFactories>
      <add name="MySQL Data Provider" invariant="MySql.Data.MySqlClient" description=".Net Framework Data Provider for MySQL" type="MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlClientFactory, MySql.Data, Version=6.3.6.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d" />
    </DbProviderFactories>
  </system.data>

Probably the problem is with missing MySql.Data.dll or with the version of this library on Johnny.

I've ran into a some sort of idea how to solve this problem without troubling the server admins but it didn't work for me

(or maybe I'm doing something wrong). Here is link to this thread (look at Robert Simpson post)

Faild to load .NET Framework Data Provider

Still same problem

@djbob

Did you add something like this to the machine.config? Of course depending of the version You've installed.

<add name="MySQL Data Provider" invariant="MySql.Data.MySqlClient" description=".Net Framework Data Provider for MySQL" type="MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlClientFactory, MySql.Data, Version=6.3.6.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d" />

I've tryied with above code in my web.config and without it. Unfortunately the problem is still there.

Stack trace WITHOUT added DbProviderFactories to web.config

Failed to find or load the registered .Net Framework Data Provider 'MySql.Data.MySqlClient'.

Stack Trace:

System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Failed to find or load the registered .Net Framework Data Provider 'MySql.Data.MySqlClient'.
  at System.Data.Common.DbProviderFactories.GetFactory (System.String providerInvariantName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at NHibernate.Driver.ReflectionBasedDriver..ctor (System.String providerInvariantName, System.String driverAssemblyName, System.String connectionTypeName, System.String commandTypeName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at NHibernate.Driver.MySqlDataDriver..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoCMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.MonoCMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Stack trace WITH is same as I posted before

Nothing changed

Only when I'm adding by myself (in web.config) lines with DbProvider error message says that there already exist one with same name.

So i guess that You've been successful on adding these lines into machine.config.

Really don't know why this isn't working :/

Any ideas ?