WEB Page Update Delay

craigis

Please see http://wiki.helionet.org/wiki/Page_caching

I was just wondering what would be the average time for a page to update after content has been updated? Should it be a instant update or are there delays ie are the pages cached in the servers memory to speed load times if a page is accessed multiple times.

Thanks In advance :)

It depends on the method of transfer, as well as the user's browser settings.

The cPanel File Manager usually has a slight delay of 5 minutes - during those 5 minutes it usually shows 500 Internal Server Errors to anyone accessing the page. FTP or Web Disk is the best way to upload and update pages quickly.

Also, the user's browser may cache some pages for quick loading. You can prevent this by adding this to your HTML code, between <head> and </head>:

<meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="CACHE-CONTROL" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">

Sometimes, ISP's can try and cache things to save bandwidth. This is generally bad and if you find this happening to you I suggest you look for a new ISP. This method of caching can usually be detected when you know it is not your browser and the content appears updated when viewing the site through a proxy.

Yea I've figured out now that my broadband router also caches the pages as well so I have to reset that if the pages don't load correctly after a update and that usually fixes it as well as flushing my browsers cache.

Also another way that has helped rather than clearing the cache for the entire web browser you can just push Ctrl + F5 and it forces a refresh of that page which has helped with the problems. Just thought I would add that as it may help some of the members. I have also added the code above to the site for now but i will probably remove it once everything is running soothly.