System email problems

pete_m

User: petem

http://icefactory.heliohost.org

Hello there, sorry to bother you guys but I'm stumped.

As I understand things, I have one email account petem@heliohost.org and the ability to create as many mailboxes as I need of the form pete@heliohost.org

I've tried to get this working from Horde and ClawsMail( using the CPanel manual instructions).

In the Horde webmail I appear to be logged in appropriately as petem but I see no messages for

petem@heliohost.org.

The Inbox display does not show petem@heliohost.org as I see when looking at the subdomain account

In CPanel I have configured all un-routed massages to be delivered to the 'default system email' petem@heliohost.org, but I'm stuck trying to access this mailbox.

I can see and use the pete@icefactory.heliohost.org mailbox.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thank you for your help and for the great Heliohost service.

Guest Geoff

You can't create pete@heliohost.org email addresses because you don't own the domain heliohost.org

You can create pete@yourname.heliohost.org addresses, if that's your domain, and you can also create pete@yourdomain.com addresses (if you own yourdomain.com)

• 3 weeks later...
You can't create pete@heliohost.org email addresses because you don't own the domain heliohost.org

You can create pete@yourname.heliohost.org addresses, if that's your domain, and you can also create pete@yourdomain.com addresses (if you own yourdomain.com)

Thanks Geoff for your reply.. excuse delay in getting back but I m travelling at the moment and haven t got online till today. . .

I appreciate that I cannot create pete@heliohost.org as this is not my domain. I have successfully created addresses at icefactory.heliohost.org( my heliohost domain)

BUT - while exploring the email settings in Cpanel I saw a setting for catching unresolved addresses and selected for these messages to be routed to what was described as my system email account (which I presumed to be petem@heliohost.org) - this has been the case when using other similar services in the past.

The question actually arose for me when trying to sign up for SAS ShareaSale affiliation program which would not accept an address of the form pete@icefactory.heliohost.org instead requiring an address at a top level domain- so I thought that perhaps I could use my system email ( as described in my original post above) to receive their mail.

Perhaps this is not possible and users do not have an address with heliohost.org of the form user@heliohost.org. If this is the case I m sure I ll find a way round, but this would mean that the email setup instructions from CPanel are presently misleading. . .

The default email account is used to "catch" mail that is unrouted; it is suggested to create new accounts for daily use. The username and password of the default account is the same as your cPanel account login.

Thanks again for your help and the fine Heliohost service...

Best Regards,

Pete

PS.

As I understand things my a/c will be marked as inactive after a month without logging in to Cpanel ..and triggering an advisory email.

MY question is - how much time can elapse after this email is sent and before my acoount and work gets deleted.

Is there any possibility that this deadline can be extended in certain circumstances ?

When I m away travelling I m usually continuing to work on my stuff using my lighttpd localhost server on my netbook . .

I am thoroughly committed to using Heliohost , having put in quite a lot of work getting things set up. Although I have made a full backup via FTP of all my files it would be tedious to have to recreate them, and as far as I know I have no way to record the subdomain and routings that I have set up using CPanel.

Guest Geoff

Your user email is something like your_heliohost_username@yourdomain.heliohost.org

If you have problems with that, then you can get a .tk or .co.cc domain.

MY question is - how much time can elapse after this email is sent and before my acoount and work gets deleted.

Usually about a week. However, this may be altered depending on the number of accounts waiting to be deleted.

This cannot be extended; we would have to do so for all accounts.

The question actually arose for me when trying to sign up for SAS ShareaSale affiliation program which would not accept an address of the form pete@icefactory.heliohost.org instead requiring an address at a top level domain

If you have problems with that, then you can get a .tk or .co.cc domain.

I don't think they are classed as top level domains, btw.