Secondary Dns Help

stergos

i dont think u can setup secondary dns from cpanel...

anyways,why do u want to setup secondary dns ??

I would like to do that for back up. Yesterday server was down for at least 6 hours, I read that a secondary server can hold the website alive for a some a few hours. (BIND) This method was working for sure before some years i'm not sure if is still working. To the previous cpanel versions included a file to the path etc/named.conf but I use the servers current cpanel and I can't find this file. <_<

No backup dns servers wont hold the web site alive. they would just hold ur DNS records until they expire (i think so).... because the website requires a web server for loading..

And this is not gonna solve my problem? I think Helios is one of the best on it's category I don't wanna leave from here things happens like yesterday I just try to find a way to keep the website online when things happen. any suggestions?

well no there isnt any other way....other than moving to a different host (mostly a paid one)... because no else provides free hosting as good as Heliohost..

I'm agree with you just I believe the downtime can happen to paid servers too, a backup is always good solution. Thank you for reply I appreciate. Maybe an expert of cpanel can help as please?

This is what I have to do:

Your zone file should contain the following:

yourdomain.com. IN NS ns1.example.com.

You must allow the Primary DNS server to transfer to our server. If you do not do this then all transfers will fail. To allow transfers, you must add 123.456.789.123 to the 'Allow' settings of the Primary DNS server.

Sample config for BIND

zone "yourdomain.com" {

type master;

file "yourdomain.com";

allow-transfer {

123.456.789.123;

};

};

123.456.789.123 is optional.

Also ask the "IP of primary DNS" I am not sure which the Ip I use NS1.HELIOHOST.ORG and NS2.HELIOHOST.ORG.

Any ideas?

As Geoff pointed out, you can't edit the DNS settings in this way in a shared hosting environment. What you are trying to do is access the Configuration file for the DNS service for all of the accounts hosted here. From a security standpoint that just can't happen.

Since you do have your own domain, you should be able to move your DNS away from Heliohost with a similar effect. If you switch to your Domain Registrar's name servers and then set the proper records there, you should be able to avoid DNS issues when Stevie goes down. If you provide your domain name I can try and provide more detailed steps.

Alright, stergos my recommendation is you sign up with an account here: http://freedns.afraid.org It is free to sign up with them. The advantage of using them over HelioHost's DNS is that if for some reason HelioHost is down for an extended period of time, your DNS records will still be available and you can even change them to point to other hosting with minimal wait time for propagation.

Once you sign up with an account, you need to create the appropriate records for your domain. At a minimum you should create 1 A record titled "@" (without quotes), the lowest TTL you can set, and a IP address of 216.218.192.170. You should also create a CNAME record titled "WWW" (again, without quotes) and point it to "@" (your A record). Then, at your domain registrar change your name servers to the ones provided by afraid.org.

If you have issues OR if you have email @e-hacking.com set up, post back and I can walk you through those steps.

Alright, stergos my recommendation is you sign up with an account here: http://freedns.afraid.org It is free to sign up with them. The advantage of using them over HelioHost's DNS is that if for some reason HelioHost is down for an extended period of time, your DNS records will still be available and you can even change them to point to other hosting with minimal wait time for propagation.

Once you sign up with an account, you need to create the appropriate records for your domain. At a minimum you should create 1 A record titled "@" (without quotes), the lowest TTL you can set, and a IP address of 216.218.192.170. You should also create a CNAME record titled "WWW" (again, without quotes) and point it to "@" (your A record). Then, at your domain registrar change your name servers to the ones provided by afraid.org.

If you have issues OR if you have email @e-hacking.com set up, post back and I can walk you through those steps.

Thank you very much I will try it! Off course I don't have any idea how to start, but my first question is:

I sign up and I try to add my domain, to the current table say's:

"Also... make sure you are ONLY using the above nameservers unless you know what you are doing.

If you include other nameservers at your registrar besides the listed above, and not all nameservers are properly setup to be in sync with each other, your site may experience intermittent downtime."

I cannot place their 4 nameservers because I use 2 For Helios and is only 2 left.

I'm newbie with dns I afraid I will screw up. :unsure:

My email address is webmaster@e-hacking.com or "stergos4" to skype. I appreciate all of you, thank you for trying help me!!!

Thank you very much I will try it! Off course I don't have any idea how to start, but my first question is:

I sign up and I try to add my domain, to the current table say's:

"Also... make sure you are ONLY using the above nameservers unless you know what you are doing.

If you include other nameservers at your registrar besides the listed above, and not all nameservers are properly setup to be in sync with each other, your site may experience intermittent downtime."

I cannot place their 4 nameservers because I use 2 For Helios and is only 2 left.

I'm newbie with dns I afraid I will screw up. :unsure:

My email address is webmaster@e-hacking.com or "stergos4" to skype. I appreciate all of you, thank you for trying help me!!!

Once you add the appropriate records over at afraid.org, you no longer need to use the HelioHost name servers. If you post back with the name servers it is telling you to use, I'll try and check their records for accuracy.