HelioHost.org moving to Cody

Ashoat

I'm moving HelioHost.org to Cody today. The process will work as follows:

1) Copy all the files from Stevie to Cody.

2) Switch DNS records from Stevie to Cody.

3) Stop all modifications to the accounts database temporarily.

4) Copy database over to Cody.

5) Switch Cody to point to localhost database.

6) Switch Stevie to point to Cody's database.

I've already added code to all the scripts to allow for managing multiple and remote servers. Next step after this is to move HelioNet. On Thursday, I'm disabling BIND on Stevie. After this, I'll start to set up Johnny, another VP on Charlie. This one will host user accounts, and will be full-featured (ie. RoR/JSP/ASP.NET)... but as a result will be less stable than Stevie, and will be advertised as such. Some time after that I'll disable RoR on Stevie, and ask that all RoR users migrate to Johnny.

IMPORTANT NOTE: after I switch the DNS record for heliohost.org to Cody, everyone who is trying to log in to cPanel via "heliohost.org/cpanel" will be unable to login. Instead, try to log in using the HelioHost.org home page.

All the server names seem to end in "y" or "ie".

stevie

charlie

johnny

cody

Thanks for getting charlie up. Keep up the good work!

Small tip for future such steps: you could make the DNS propagation delay for the whole world much shorter with setting new IP for A records for heliohost.org on old nameserver(s) (on Stevie), too. At the moment it's too late, though, everyone's systems should use new (Charlie) ns1/ns2.heliohost.org. But couple of hours ago from some locations still old nameservers has been queried. Without changing entries on old nameservers it takes ~24 hours for everyone to access new location (if I'm right), with changing entries on old nameservers (or switching location of nameservers 1 more day before) it could take only 4 hours (with current TTLs). Just a small thing, couple of hours difference doesn't mean much. ; )

When you'll move helionet forums, though, to avoid some people posting on old, some on new location, you can set TTL for being shorter than 4 hours. At least 4 hours before changing IP itself for A record, of course, for such step having any effect. After changing IP TTL can be set for being longer again.

Forgive me if you're aware of all these things and you just don't bother much for the DNS propagation being couple of hours faster or slower.

Actually, moving to the new nameservers should take the same amount of time (~4 hours) as moving the domain itself. While switching nameservers (ie. move from ns1.heliohost.org to ns1.someotherhost.com) takes about 24 hours, changes of A records (as was the case for moving ns1.heliohost.org to a new IP and similarly for moving heliohost.org to a new IP) usually take about 4 hours. This is because DNS records of type "NS" usually have a TTL of about 24 hours, while DNS records of type "A" usually have a TTL of about 4 hours.

What's notable here is that no NS records have been changed - all domains are still pointing to ns1.heliohost.org. It's just that the A record for ns1.heliohost.org has changed.

What I'm pointing is that that on old - Stevie - nameserver is still old A record for heliohost.org, on new - Charlie - nameserver is new A record already. And couple of hours ago from some location - like ie. Germany, Netherlands, California (USA) (such locations I did check) - still old (Stevie) nameserver has been queried while asking ns1/ns2.heliohost.org for the records for heliohost.org and www subdomain of it.

But that's a small thing, of course, just couple of hours. ; )

(...) while DNS records of type "A" usually have a TTL of about 4 hours. (...)

I would say that it has usually such TTL that admin wants it. ; )

Ie. I use 1 hour, but if I have plan to change IP, I try to set it temporarily for 5 minutes or so, for propagation being as short as possible.

Okay, I see your point... if the info hadn't propagated to Europe at that point, then updating the record on Stevie as well wouldn't have hurt.

Anyways... I've done steps 1 and 2 so far, and I just turned off BIND on Stevie. All DNS requests for HelioHost are now being handled by Cody.

The HelioNet database has been moved. At this point, it looks like HelioHost.org and HelioNet are completely moved to Cody, and that Cody is functioning as the nameserver for all HelioHost accounts.

• 2 weeks later...
You don't need to modify anything, just use the following nameservers:

ns1.heliohost.org

ns2.heliohost.org

Please don't emphasise your posts - it doesn't give you a faster reply.

My website www.resonance11.co.cc use the same name servers when ns1.heliohost.org ns2.heliohost.org but from sunday onwards its showing Account queued page whenever I try to logon to my website.

Please Help!!

:unsure:

We are currently experiencing technical difficulties, and we apologise for any inconvenience.

http://www.helionet.org/index/index.php?sh...view=getnewpost

Sir I m sorry to say the problem for the Account Queued page went away for 1 day but now its back whenever I try to logon to my website www.resonance11.co.cc it shows the account queued page.

Kindly look into the problem as soon as possible.

:unsure: