[Solved] Better Support Site a' la StackOverflow

meiscooldude

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Instead of waiting on enough people to commit, you could use http://www.osqa.net/ and host your own Q/A website for HelioHost support. :)

The problem with it is has to be hosted by HelioHost. The advantage of StackOverflow is it is hosted by them. There was also an offer on the table to let The Host Helpers handle the support operations. Again, the advantage there is that it is hosted "away" from Helio Networks so if those go down, support is still available. Ultimately, I think any solution which moves it off of Helio's servers is a good one.

Honestly, I'm not even convinced that the Stack Exchange thing is good for us... we'd have to see if it allows the same level of moderation as a standard forum does.

Does anybody want to try out the software in the OP and see how it works?

As for hosting... with Charlie we'll be able to segregate important services onto a separate VM.

Honestly, I'm not even convinced that the Stack Exchange thing is good for us... we'd have to see if it allows the same level of moderation as a standard forum does.

Does anybody want to try out the software in the OP and see how it works?

As for hosting... with Charlie we'll be able to segregate important services onto a separate VM.

I looked at http://wiki.osqa.net/display/docs/OSQA+Ins...+Upgrade+Guides and http://www.heliohost.org/home/features/languages/python and Stevie doesn't have the requirements, Django 1.1, for starters.

Whatever VM we'll be using to host HelioHost/HelioNet on Charlie won't be using the cPanel/WHM platform... so that shouldn't be a platform.

lulz

If I have time/inclination, I'll see if I can setup a demo. But I'm already doing the theme and the script, so I don't think that'll be soon.

You can also use shapado. It runs on ruby, and is free & open source.

However, we will have to wait until ROR 2 is up before we will be able to run it.

I think it would be much better than the Stack Exchange site.

Well.. Not in the amount of features, because the Stack Exchange people have years more experience than the people developing alternatives. However, it probably would provide better admin tools, because I'm not sure that we would have control of the stackexchange site. The reason for this assumption: admin of the stackexchange site is the one with the most posts, generally. Even though djbob started the site, he may not be the admin of the site in the end.

Well, if we made it ourselves, we might have a working version ready in six months (if everyone worked really hard) to 18 months (if everyone worked moderately hard).

Of course "working" implies that it works, no more. It wouldn't be pretty, and it definitely wouldn't be better than the two alternatives mentioned above.

Well, if we made it ourselves, we might have a working version ready in six months (if everyone worked really hard) to 18 months (if everyone worked moderately hard).

Of course "working" implies that it works, no more. It wouldn't be pretty, and it definitely wouldn't be better than the two alternatives mentioned above.

We could probably hammer out something correct during the summer. By "correct" I mean small and (probably) ugly, but scalable/easily upgraded.

But then again, why would we want to do this?