Cron jobs

Charmees

Hello,

First of all, I made this forum account before creating an account on your main site http://www.heliohost.org/home/, because I wanted to be sure everything is in order.

I want to register to HelioHost because I need to use the cron jobs feature and I think this is the best site I've found so far.

I have 2 jobs at the moment and will make a 3rd one later.

So all in all 3 jobs.

I need to run them in such frequency:

1) every 30 minutes

2) every 2 hours ( i can put this just a little bit longer, like 2.5 or 3 ? , but i already upped it from 1 hour )

----- IN FUTURE

3) every 30 minutes

Can I run my jobs in HelioHost? Is this site for me?

Looking forward to your answer.

Cheers!

I don't think so man, this is shared hosting and that is way to often for a free shared host. If you are looking to run something with that much frequency, my recommendations would be to either: go with paid hosting. Personally, I've used HostGator Share Hosting for a situation similar to yours and found that it works great. You might also want to consider getting a Virtual Private Server. HostGator's VPS Plans are fully managed by their administrators but give you the flexibility of having your own machine that you can run scripts on as often as you want. If you are really serious about your site, I'd go with the VPS option (specifically Level 4 VPS @ HostGator).

Personally, I don't think you are going to be able to find a reliable, free host to fit your needs.

Sorry, you can only run 2 cron jobs per day.

Actually, bandwidth isn't the problem. Cron jobs put lots of pressure on the server and can cause downtime if abused.

Sorry for any inconvenience - these terms have only been set to minimize downtime.

What if I run only two jobs with that frequency?

I mean, these are very small scripts, like few KB, I can't believe bandwidth would be the problem?

As jje said, it isn't about bandwidth as much as it is about server load. On HelioHost, there are 20,000+ accounts on the server. On paid hosting, this number is more in the 300 range. Thus, server load is lower on paid hosting and users can put more strain on the system. Unfortunately it is just the reality of the situation.

Sorry, you can only run 2 cron jobs per day.

Actually, bandwidth isn't the problem. Cron jobs put lots of pressure on the server and can cause downtime if abused.

Sorry for any inconvenience - these terms have only been set to minimize downtime.

Does that mean, I can run one task with 12h frequency? So that means I would use cron two times a day.

Or I have two tasks with frequency I want?

I'm afraid that you can only have one job with a frequency of 12 hours, or two jobs with a frequency of 24h. Sorry.

If you like, you can request more from the root admin (djbob), but he rarely extends the limit on cron jobs.