Another "newbie" question... sorry

Richardgvr

I am trying to create an account, and one of the questions is "Desired Domain". I already have a registered dot com address and when I put that in the "Desired Domain" box and try to finalize the account creation, I get an error message indicating that my choice is not a valid address.

So, my question is, must I use a heliohost address, then point my existing domain name to that address?

Sorry... I'm really a novice with this stuff and truly appreciate your help.

Did you try putting in the domain without the http://www?

Actually it's recommended that you use a heliohost subdomain for your account and then add your main domain as a parked domain so in the event that your main domain expires/changes, you still have the heliohost subdomain to fall back on.

Actually it's recommended that you use a heliohost subdomain for your account and then add your main domain as a parked domain so in the event that your main domain expires/changes, you still have the heliohost subdomain to fall back on.

Oh, no... I started with www.

And that's a nice tip on the parked domain.

So, even though I've paid for a domain name (URL I guess it's also called) for the next 7 years, can I also park it with your free parking service and people will be able to access it through the parked name? AND the registered, paid for name... I mean there won't be any confusion if they're registered in two different places will there?

Thanks again Wizard. You deserve the moniker. :)

So, even though I've paid for a domain name (URL I guess it's also called) for the next 7 years, can I also park it with your free parking service and people will be able to access it though the parked name?

Let's see if I can explain this well enough... parked domains is like providing your website with another name (url) to go by.

If I have wizard.heliohost.org, domain1.com, and domain2.com, I can point domain1.com and domain2.com at wizard.heliohost.org using nameservers, and then add the two domains as parked domains in cPanel. Then whenever I visit domain1.com or domain2.com, it'll be the same as visiting wizard.heliohost.org. The only difference is that the url bar will display domain1.com/domain2.com. In other words, whenever you edit the files in your hosting account, both your heliohost subdomain and your domain will see the changes because they're essentially pointing to the same place--your hosting account.

EDIT to your EDIT: your domain registrar and your hosting account are two different things. You're not registering your domain name again by adding it as a parked domain here. With your registrar, you're pointing your domain toward our server. With your hosting account, you're telling our server to recognize it's being pointed at through that domain. You need both in order to visit your website and have it display the stuff you put in your heliohost hosting account.

So, even though I've paid for a domain name (URL I guess it's also called) for the next 7 years, can I also park it with your free parking service and people will be able to access it though the parked name?

Let's see if I can explain this well enough... parked domains is like providing your website with another name (url) to go by.

If I have wizard.heliohost.org, domain1.com, and domain2.com, I can point domain1.com and domain2.com at wizard.heliohost.org using nameservers, and then add the two domains as parked domains in cPanel. Then whenever I visit domain1.com or domain2.com, it'll be the same as visiting wizard.heliohost.org. The only difference is that the url bar will display domain1.com/domain2.com. In other words, whenever you edit the files in your hosting account, both your heliohost subdomain and your domain will see the changes because they're essentially pointing to the same place--your hosting account.

EDIT to your EDIT: your domain registrar and your hosting account are two different things. You're not registering your domain name again by adding it as a parked domain here. With your registrar, you're pointing your domain toward our server. With your hosting account, you're telling our server to recognize it's being pointed at through that domain. You need both in order to visit your website and have it display the stuff you put in your heliohost hosting account.

Thanks again Wizard for your detailed explanation. I appreciate the time you've taken to answer my newbie questions.

Thanks again Wizard for your detailed explanation. I appreciate the time you've taken to answer my newbie questions.

Okay Wizard, I'm still a little confused... and again I apologize; I must seem like an idiot to you. :rolleyes:

Let me make this so a simpleton like me can understand. I already own a domain that we'll call "www.mysite.com". If I create an account with helios and name it "mysite.helios.org", then go to my control panel and "Park" "www.mysite.com", then go to my registrar of "www.mysite.com" and point to the ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org nameservers, everything should be in order. Do I have this correct?

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Okay Wizard, I'm still a little confused... and again I apologize; I must seem like an idiot to you. :rolleyes:

Let me make this so a simpleton like me can understand. I already own a domain that we'll call "www.mysite.com". If I create an account with helios and name it "mysite.helios.org", then go to my control panel and "Park" "www.mysite.com", then go to my registrar of "www.mysite.com" and point to the ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org nameservers, everything should be in order. Do I have this correct?

Yes.

Yes.

Thanks yet again Wizard. I'm off to "create"!