CPU Limit and cron question

ShadowX360

Hello, I've just came from ByetHost, they have a CPU limit in place. Is there such a thing here, limiting the amount of total runtime of scripts (besides the 30 sec PHP script runtime) or a limit on CPU resources?

Also, I see that the cron only allows two runs per day, I need a script to run about 4 times a day, to manage some of my stuff. Would a free web based cron service be against the TOS? Can I just go to http://mywebcron.com/ and set the script to run once every 6 hours?

Also, does HelioHost check the User Agent parameter of the connections? Some of my cURL connections do not specify that, and that got me into a message with ByetHost.

Thanks in advance for all help.

Hello, I've just came from ByetHost, they have a CPU limit in place. Is there such a thing here, limiting the amount of total runtime of scripts (besides the 30 sec PHP script runtime) or a limit on CPU resources?

We don't meter bandwidth anymore, but that's not to say you can abuse it.

Quoted from the Administrator

You don't really need to worry about your bandwidth consumption anymore. That's not to say that you can host huge websites on HelioHost. Shuttling through, say, 100 GiB of PHP traffic monthly will mean a lot of CPU usage, and once we notice the CPU usage we will have to suspend your account.

Also, I see that the cron only allows two runs per day, I need a script to run about 4 times a day, to manage some of my stuff. Would a free web based cron service be against the TOS? Can I just go to http://mywebcron.com/ and set the script to run once every 6 hours?

No that wouldn't be against the TOS. But if you didn't actually just have to run all 4 every day you could run two one day and the next two the next day and alternate like that. Or you could use includes to run your cron scripts too.

Also, does HelioHost check the User Agent parameter of the connections? Some of my cURL connections do not specify that, and that got me into a message with ByetHost.

No, you cURL scripts should run fine without any useragent.

Can I just go to http://mywebcron.com/ and set the script to run once every 6 hours?

Yes, you may do that, but again, make sure that your crons don't do any heavy processing; you will get suspended for that. This is a free webhost, so you are sharing resources with everyone else.