bandwith

arfath khan

hello,

i'm currently using heliohost my monthly bandwith transfer is limited to 2500 mb monthly and disk space 250mb, i'm planning to open a digital goods store and i need unlimited bandwith and disk space, is there any option to increase my disk space and bandwith through my heliohost free hosting account.

thank you

hello,

i'm currently using heliohost my monthly bandwith transfer is limited to 2500 mb monthly and disk space 250mb, i'm planning to open a digital goods store and i need unlimited bandwith and disk space, is there any option to increase my disk space and bandwith through my heliohost free hosting account.

thank you

There is currently no option for unlimited space. We don't have that much space and neither does any other free host. Sorry.

Seeing packages that say unlimited storage and hosting is not a rare sign today. This is a method of Overselling that hosting companies are using to lure customer.

By providing something which is not possible theoretically means overselling. To make it easier to explain, imagine a train which can accommodate 500 passengers coming up with an advertisement saying 600 seats available. It is impossible that they can fit 600 passengers in that train. So, this is a picture of an overselling method. Most companies have a solid strategy when their do this sort of campaign but if their plan backfires, their reputation will be affected.

This same marketing method is also used in the web hosting industry. The competition in web hosting is even fiercer with hundred of company competing for customers. Customers demand more and more from the packages and this is what the companies are using to attract more consumers.

How do we find out about the overselling done by web host companies? Here is an example. A company called Company A with 2000GB space and 20 000GB of bandwidth will be able to offer a package made up of 200GB of space and 2000GB of bandwidth to 10 customers. This is a logical mathematical calculation. However, Company A can predict that 90% of their customers will never use more than 10% of what they have in their account. Therefore, they can accept more than 10 customers and this makes it overselling.

The truth is, there is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth. It is hardly that you can use all the bandwidth that you hosting company provide to you because before that happens, you would have used up all your other resources like CPU Time, Ram Usage and database connection.

However, you will not be able to find out about this because companies never include this information in their terms of service. In other word, a web host company has the rights to suspend any customer who abuse their resources and there will be no refund for that suspension.

So, when you go out looking for a web hosting company, make sure you look for a reputable company that has been around for quite some time.

hello,

thank you

x10hosting offers free unmetered bandwidth and disk space, but they also have a lot of downtime and don't allow you to use some of the more popular programming languages (Python, Perl, etc.) The best way to get the "bang for your buck" is to get on a paid hosting plan. I would recommend looking at http://www.whoishostingthis.com/hosting-reviews/ to find which might be best for you (and be sure to read the Terms of Service for whatever host you go with!)

Overselling just doesn't apply to those hosts who offer "unlimited" space/bandwidth. Every host out there oversells because they have to; even HelioHost oversells. Let's look at facts. Let us say that a server has 1TB of disk space. This is equal to 1,000GB or 1,000,000MB. Now let us say that a user gets 250MB. This means that a server with 1TB of disk space can accommodate 4,000 users.

For the majority of web sites out there, they will never use the amount of space allocated to them. In a simple example, I have a 20GB drive for web sites and I give each site 2GB of space. Therefore, I can fit 10 sites on my server. But, maybe each site really only need 1.5GB. This means that there is 5GB of space on my server that isn't being used that I could sell to someone else. So, of course, I'm going to sell it because the goal of any business is to make money.

I think, the best thing for you to do, is to think about the amount of disk space you will actually need. Be realistic based on what you want to put on your site. Once you've done that, multiply by 1.5 so that you have a bit of extra space "just in case" and then report back. With hard numbers (5GB, 10GB, etc) I can try and make recommendations based on that information. If you are truly looking for "unlimited" then your best bet is to go paid and for that I would recommend HostGator. They offer unlimited space/bandwidth and they have some of the best support around. I have a couple sites there with them and have been thoroughly pleased.

• 2 weeks later...
x10hosting offers free unmetered bandwidth and disk space, but they also have a lot of downtime and don't allow you to use some of the more popular programming languages (Python, Perl, etc.) The best way to get the "bang for your buck" is to get on a paid hosting plan. I would recommend looking at http://www.whoishostingthis.com/hosting-reviews/ to find which might be best for you (and be sure to read the Terms of Service for whatever host you go with!)

x10Hosting have a strict policy that you cannot use your site to host files, videos, or photos.

You can use HelioHost as long as you follow the Terms of Service, login to cPanel every 30 days, and fairly use the server.