NS Record for a co.cc domain not working

srirang

Hi,

I have registered a domian at srirang.co.cc and I have been using it with Heliohost for a little while now. All this time I had setup nameservers as ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org. In this setting both srirang.co.cc and www.srirang.co.cc showed my website properly.

A couple of days back I moved from nameserver setting to Zone Records as I want my blogger blog on my custom domain. Here are my current settings :

Service Type : Zone Record

Domain Name Type/Pri Value

blog.srirang.co.cc CNAME ghs.google.com

oldblog.srirang.co.cc CNAME ghs.google.com

www.srirang.co.cc NS ns1.heliohost.org

www.srirang.co.cc NS ns2.heliohost.org

With this accessing www.srirang.co.cc or srirang.co.cc (which redirects to www.srirang.co.cc itself) always results in a co.cc error page saying this :

Not Found

The requested URL / was not found on this server.

If you want to build a site at this address, please visit us at www.co.cc

On the other hand the blogger blogs are working absolutely fine on the above mentioned urls.

Is there something wrong in what I am doing?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

My username is : srirang

The domain registered is : srirang.co.cc

Thank you.

Regards,

Srirang

For your domain to work, you will need to add an A record pointing to stevie's IP, but that is not the recommended configuration.

The recommended configuration is for you to change the settings back to the nameservers option, in CO.CC's admin panel, then use the "Advanced NS Editor" in CPanel to change the records on heliohost's nameservers.

• 3 weeks later...
For your domain to work, you will need to add an A record pointing to stevie's IP, but that is not the recommended configuration.

The recommended configuration is for you to change the settings back to the nameservers option, in CO.CC's admin panel, then use the "Advanced NS Editor" in CPanel to change the records on heliohost's nameservers.

Thank you very much Geoff. Works perfectly well. Sorry for being so late in responding.

As a follow up question, it is not recommended to add an A record pointing to Stevie's IP in CO.CC's settings because it can change and the co.cc nameserves have not way of knowing it, where as the heliohost nameservers would know when stevie's IP changes. Is that the reason or am I missing something?

Also, the reason my previous settings did not work was probably because co.cc added A records pointing to their servers when I registered the domain and the A records shadowed the NS records that I manually added. Is that right?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Srirang

As a follow up question, it is not recommended to add an A record pointing to Stevie's IP in CO.CC's settings because it can change and the co.cc nameserves have not way of knowing it, where as the heliohost nameservers would know when stevie's IP changes. Is that the reason or am I missing something?

Pretty much. The advantage of using an A record on other name servers is if Heliohost goes down, your DNS does not also go down (which means you couldn't send/receive email, even through Google Apps, etc). Also, should you decide to move web hosts, changing an A record can propagate across the internet in a matter of hours where as changing NS records could take 48+ hours.

Pretty much. The advantage of using an A record on other name servers is if Heliohost goes down, your DNS does not also go down (which means you couldn't send/receive email, even through Google Apps, etc). Also, should you decide to move web hosts, changing an A record can propagate across the internet in a matter of hours where as changing NS records could take 48+ hours.

Thank you rvt. Will keep the propagation time difference in mind.