[Solved] HelioHost Downtime?

stgeorge

I have a question that does not really apply to the hosting as I realize that this is free hosting with few staff and although a time consuming commitment by the said staff, the server and the package may be the problem.

I have been trying to put websites on this hosting for over a year now, but do not implement the switch more often than not due to Downtime.

I was wondering whether this will ever improve.

I run PopPeeper which is an e-mail application that checks e-mail accounts without having a full blown e-mail application constantly open using resources. On this e-mail application I can get updated on over 40 e-mail accounts I run for different purposes.

One of the uses I find PopPeeper useful for is to check on the uptime of Hosting accounts.

I for example have a Heliohost sign-up sub domain e-mail account which when PopPeeper checks the new mail actually informs me indirectly if the Server is up.

Every day the HelioHost server is down for various lengths of time.

If I was to run a top level domain on this Server I reckon it will be online for a max of 70% of the time. Obviously I do not notice what is happening when I am asleep but when awake I am online 24/7 GMT.

My question is this:

Why does HelioHost have such difficulty staying online?

Because the server has 20,000 users and a lot of them do stupid stuff and I can't really prevent their stupid stuff from downing the server sometimes.

In short, the reason is that this isn't a full-time job for me. Most servers are a lot easier to administer and are administered by people as their full-time jobs.