[Solved] Bespin?

grohe43

A lot of people use Bespin, but the editor that Mozilla hosts is really bare.

Advantages of running your own server is that you can edit the server for more functionality, like a mini "file browser" instead of loading everything command-line, autocorrection, etc. It's like turning Notepad that has syntax highlighting into an IDE.

As to the original poster...

Would it be possible to get bespin and bespin server running on my account? I just want to know :)

100% yes, you can get the client on your site.

The server, however, is trickier. Since it's a Python program that's run constantly (I don't know how to describe it. It's like a background process without being in the background), I'd have to say that I doubt djbob will install it for you.

Hopefully when the new server comes out (which has already begun development), you'll be able to run it. The new server is written entirely in Javascript, therefore it won't be a "process".

So... this is an alternate web server, or what?

Bespin is an open-source browser-based IDE. It comes in two parts--a server and a client. The client is written in JS and the server is in Python. He wants to know if he can host the server on the server. It uses whatever port you want it to use (default is 8080), and it doesn't really use any resources. I don't have an exact number since I already deleted my Linux partition, but most of the system requirements are client-sided on the user's computer, the server is really only telling the client where the files are.

Sorry if I'm not being clear, there's a wiki on Bespin at Mozilla's site.

Derek: Thanks for the clarification.

grohe43: Unfortunately, we can't allow custom services to run... it's dangerous, and also resource intensive. Sorry :(

I understand, I will see if there is a way to use it without a constantly running service.

Thanks for the great service.

Brian