[Solved] Wordpress Installation

Okay, so after a manual search through the php.ini extension directives I'm pretty sure I've identified the problem: pdo_sqlite. Either it doesn't play nice with ODBC, or it sucks on its own. Either way, the installation should hopefully work fine now.

Thanks for looking through the source code and helping figure out the problem, rvt!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I can't say specifically what functions Wordpress needs or doesn't need. Most blogs run on less than 32MB of RAM but the more plugins people have the more RAM they need. That being said, most people can run Wordpress and other HTML sites on a VPS with 256MB of RAM (this includes Apache, MySQL, SSH, FTP, etc).

The code that Wordpress is using is this:

<?php
function apache_mod_loaded($mod, $default = false) {
    global $is_apache;
//added by rvt:  return true;
    if ( !$is_apache )
        return false;

if ( function_exists('apache_get_modules') ) {
        $mods = apache_get_modules();
        if ( in_array($mod, $mods) )
            return true;
    } elseif ( function_exists('phpinfo') ) {
            ob_start();
            phpinfo(8);
            $phpinfo = ob_get_clean();
            if ( false !== strpos($phpinfo, $mod) )
                return true;
    }
    return $default;
}
?>

First it checks to make sure the server is running Apache (this part is OK).

Then it tries to check if the PHP function apache_get_modules() exists. On this host (and many others that I've tested), this returns false.

Therefore, it runs phpinfo() and captures the output in an output buffer. The argument "8" tells PHP to just print out the loaded modules in PHP's configuration. This prints out the same way as I have shown above (except without the beginning part which is excluded with the "8" argument). Since this gets cut off before it loads details rewrite, it doesn't realize that that mod_rewrite is installed properly. Thus, none of the conditional statements where this function is called return properly and Wordpress dies without outputting all of its information.

If I uncomment the line in the function and remove the part that says "added by rvt:", then Wordpress works great.

--------------------------------------------

Earnsimply.com: Once you have Wordpress 3.0 installed on your account here, download this ZIP file: http://thh1.thehosthelpers.com/wp3test/functions.zip. Extract the file (it will be called functions.php) and replace the current functions.php file located in the wp-includes directory. This should allow you to install the Networks feature...

rvt :

Thanks for your help. Now networking concept is working, just with functions file update.

May I know, How do you find the solution for it?

Waiting for ur reply.

Thanks.

rvt :

Thanks for your help. Now networking concept is working, just with functions file update.

May I know, How do you find the solution for it?

Waiting for ur reply.

Thanks.

Glad to hear you got it working.

As for how I found the solution to it: I am a programmer by trade and run a couple production level websites as well as my own web hosting so I had no problem going through the code to find the issue. In detail: I noticed that Wordpress was trying to load network.php from the wp-admin directory. I looked through that file and found where it was stopping when we accessed the page online. I then added a whole bunch of debugging "print" statements to see what conditional statements were being met to control output where it was failing. When I saw that it wasn't going into an "if" statement when it should have been, I looked at what it was testing (which is the piece of code I posted earlier). I then used that code on one of my local machines which I set up with the same configuration as here at HelioHost (at least, as close as I could get based on what I knew). Once I figured out which part of that function was supposed to return true, but wasn't, I tested that code here and saw that phpinfo() was being cut short. I then made the deductions I made above and djbob took care of the rest.

Truth be told, he did all the hard work. I hate going through configuration files (especially PHP's) but I'll debug code like I described above any day.

[shameless advertising]I and a couple other people I know do this full time at my site: http://thehosthelpers.com. I'd encourage you to join there and post if you have any issues because we check their literally 20+ hours of every day where as I only check here a couple times a week. It just so happened to be by chance that I stopped by on the day you posted your problem.[/shameless advertising]

-RVTraveller